• A Great friend to the HardForum with a great kid that he is trying to get a scholorship to continue his schooling. Please give hime a vote! Only 24 hours left! Thanks.
    If you have an VOTE FOR KEENAN!

Dell 2407WFP, Need advice on basic calibration.

I3ig Al

n00b
Joined
Apr 30, 2012
Messages
25
Hey Folks. I have a Dell 2407WFP, been using it for a good six years now for gaming and multimedia, no photo editing/correcting.

Recently I bought an Acer S200HLAbd family computer build, and used it dual monitor with the 2407WFP for a bit first just to check it out.


Hooolly crap, I never realized how awful my 2407 is at factory settings. I know theres going to be a big difference between the LED and CCFL back lighting, but the whites on the 2407 are all yellowish like paper left out in the sun. I'm not really sure if this is due to bad calibration or simply the age of the panel.

I am completely new to this whole area, never touched the monitor settings aside from adjusting the brightness. I have poked around a bit in Nvidia/AMD control panel settings but didn't really understand what it was I was doing. I also am not really sure on how the OSD settings interact with the Graphics Settings.

I am looking for some basic tuning help on this. Any tips, links to info/guides, or software recommendations would all be very appreciated. I don't do any critical work that requires awesome color accuracy, I just want it to not look so bad. I would be willing to spend 50-80$ on some software if it would help, otherwise I might as well just save up for a U2312. I cannot really justify spending 100+ on a calibration tool for such an old display.


Many thanks to any and all that take the time to read/respond.
 
Just buy a used monitor calibrator. I just bought an Xrite i1display2 from someone on the forum for $45 shipped and wow, I couldn't believe the difference on my 2408's. the xRite had me manually adjust the RGB levels pretty far down to get a normal white. When I switched the color back to default it looked hideously yellow, same as your monitor.

For my monitors I ended up with 81 R, 75G, and 85B, 90 % contrast, and 20 brightness to make the display calibrator happy. The monitor looks much better though.
 
Thanks for the response allen. I checked Ebay and see an Xrite i1display2 for ten bucks but still 4 days to go, so who knows what it will end up at. I also poked around and it seems that the Spyder series is very popular, though Ebay has none for a decent bid.

I adjusted my 2407's RGB to values similar to yours and it did help, still yellowish but not quiet as pronounced. Unfortunately it appears that I cannot adjust the contrast on the 2407, and setting the brightness to 20 was far too dim.

I will keep an eye out for a decently prices calibrator, and I suppose I need to start saving for that U2312 regardless, but any further guidance in the interim would be lovely.


EDIT: Looked at the Dell site and tried to compare the U2312 and the U2412.... Not quite understanding why the 24012 is 70$ more expensive, or what the M and HM in the model names denote.

I also checked the Dell Outlet site where they sell refurb items. they have a U2412 for 280$ which is mighty tempting looking, does anyone have an opinion either way on Refurb items? 90day warranty kind of scares me.
 
Last edited:
You can't correct the inhert nature characteristics between LED and CFL back lighting. I have similar issues with my 2407, 2407HC, and my new HP ZR24W. The 2407's actually look better due to the IPS glow from the ZR24W and screen coating...

Next time, i'm buying 3 of the same monitors from the same production batch at the same time.
 
Just put an ad on the FS/FT forum and eventually you'll get something. That's what I did.
 
I also checked the Dell Outlet site where they sell refurb items. they have a U2412 for 280$ which is mighty tempting looking, does anyone have an opinion either way on Refurb items? 90day warranty kind of scares me.

The U2412 can slip under $300 new from time to time, so $280 refurb doesn't seem to be a great deal to me. Unless you need one immediately, wait until the holiday season/black friday.

I got one new for $293 last Dec, although ended up returning it due to the AG coating.
 
If you're really watching for a new monitor IMO you should just buy a refurbished 2408 from DFS direct sales. Depending on the coupons they have you can get them for $180 to $150. I bought mine for $150.
 
EDIT: Looked at the Dell site and tried to compare the U2312 and the U2412.... Not quite understanding why the 24012 is 70$ more expensive, or what the M and HM in the model names denote.


The 2412 is an inch bigger, and is 16:10 (1920x1200) vs the 2312's 16:9 (1920x1080) resolution. Dell uses "H" to refer to 16:9 monitors I believe.
 
You should try to look at the U2412 or any IPS before buying one (if you haven't already). They certainly do some things quite well, but nice whites isn't one of them (unless glossy or semiglossy). Or at least on mine it didn't. On my 2412 whites were more a gray-ish, sparkly white, or dirty/grainy white, due to the coating.

If that doesn't bother you, you may like it. But since you commented on whites not looking good on your 2407, I just wanted to point that out. If you want creamy, snow-like whites, the U2412 isn't the monitor for that.
 
Wow thanks for the awesome replies people! I kinda expected this thread to just disappear after my first reply.

You should try to look at the U2412 or any IPS before buying one (if you haven't already). They certainly do some things quite well, but nice whites isn't one of them (unless glossy or semiglossy). Or at least on mine it didn't. On my 2412 whites were more a gray-ish, sparkly white, or dirty/grainy white, due to the coating.

If that doesn't bother you, you may like it. But since you commented on whites not looking good on your 2407, I just wanted to point that out. If you want creamy, snow-like whites, the U2412 isn't the monitor for that.

Thank you Namelessme for the this info, and on the refurb U2412. I Really won't mind the off white nature of IPS, the only reason I mentioned whites on my 2407 is because I realized how really awful it looks. If I can make this 2407 look halfway decent I can save up for 3xU2412 for Xmas.

http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1168121
I'll be trying that icc since I have the same monitor, give it a try.

thanks a TON eizen! this is exactly the kind of thing I have been looking for. I know its older info, and I know that no two monitors are alike, but any tweaking should be better than my defaults. Now to figure out how ICC profiles work...

Thanks again all!
 
ICC profiles are pointless on windows. Windows does not load the color profile in any full screen DXVA games or video playback.

Only a handful of apps support full screen ICC profile support, one being Media Player HC. You'll only be able to enjoy it with your desktop apps such as internet browser.
 
Back
Top