DELL 2405FPW resolution (heeeeelp)

just got my 2405FPW from dell today and wonder what the best resolution with 75hz that i can use.. i like the 1360x 768 but the windows (firefox for example) doesnt cover the whole screen. is there any way to bypass this?

Phat^Trance said:
just got my 2405FPW from dell today and wonder what the best resolution with 75hz that i can use.. i like the 1360x 768 but the windows (firefox for example) doesnt cover the whole screen. is there any way to bypass this?

Native resolution is meant to be 1920x1200.

Why people want 75hz on an LCD I'll never understand.

Anyway if you do want it you can set it at 1360x 768 and strecth it to cover the entire screen, but the image will look somewhat fuzzy.

Wait- you buy an expensive LCD with a nice resolution, and then you run it at a crappy non-native res. so you can have a higher refresh rate? :confused:

Higher refresh rate is a MUST for online gaming, especially in fast-paced 3-D shooters. Why?

Here's why...

Given the absurd "input lag" on most LCD monitors, Vsync must be turned off to eliminate most of that lag. Not all of it is eliminated, but it is significantly reduced to levels comparable to that of CRT monitors (no longer like the undesirably handicapping 60+ ms lag).

Ok, now have you guys figured it out yet? If not, then here it goes...

With Vsync turned off at only 60 Hz, it produces severe screen tearing in virtually all of the 3D games you play. The screen tearing is so horrible it's disgusting. Increasing the refresh to 75 Hz reduces a lot of the screen tearing, since the monitor is now able to refresh double buffers at a much faster rate compared to the internal fill rate. (Triple buffering unfortunately causes additional lag, and does little to reduce screen tearing).

Have you guys checked out the new giant 70" LCD TV yet? It supports 1080P full resolution (1920x1080), at an amazing 120 Hz!!! Yes, 120 Hz!
http://www.samsung.com/PressCenter/PressRelease/PressRelease.asp?seq=20060821_0000281216#
That's unbelievable! The price will be well over $5000, for sure. It offers a 2000:1 contrast, and an advertised 180-degree viewing angle! The "doubled" refresh rate is there for a reason--so that we can keep up with the intense sports action on TV (like watching that hockey puck being passed along hockey players in 1080p without losing track of the puck).

Now, the gamer's needs should be considered. I beg for 120Hz desktop LCD monitors.

Hey there, I also have a 2405FPW. You can lock the refresh rates at 75Hz with RefreshLock.exe by HZTool. However, when I check the control panel on the monitor, it still reports the usual 60Hz with 1920x1200 as back-end for most of the other resolutions. Even using Powerstrip works only for a while, by manually increasing the vertical refresh rate to say, 70Hz or 75 Hz. But when I switch back to the desktop after playing a game or something, the monitor either becomes garbled while displaying artifacts or goes blank while reporting something like "Out of Range Scan Timings".

It might work better using an analog connection, although this monitor is much more stubborn than other LCD's with refresh rates. Forcing a 100 Hz refresh rate through the drivers does not seem to have any effect on the input lag problem, as far as I see.

Any others also experience this, what I was stating in the above post?

Bo_Fox said:
Have you guys checked out the new giant 70" LCD TV yet? It supports 1080P full resolution (1920x1080), at an amazing 120 Hz!!! Yes, 120 Hz!
http://www.samsung.com/PressCenter/PressRelease/PressRelease.asp?seq=20060821_0000281216#
That's unbelievable! The price will be well over $5000, for sure. It offers a 2000:1 contrast, and an advertised 180-degree viewing angle! The "doubled" refresh rate is there for a reason--so that we can keep up with the intense sports action on TV (like watching that hockey puck being passed along hockey players in 1080p without losing track of the puck).

That's not going to make a difference seeing as TV is broadcast at a maximum framerate of 60 Hz. and that only at 720p. The TV is just going to show the same frame twice.

Uh..your 2405 runs best at native. Or else, go buy yourself a 16" widescreen or a CRT. What a waste of money. -.-

120 Hz must be for the gaming---the true reason!!! Football players who can afford to pay $40,000 for this monitor truly care about the gaming! There are rumors that the upcoming PS3 can support up to 120 Hz refresh rate in games. When the TV still has a 120 Hz refresh rate, being fed component video at 120 Hz, it should look amazing on a 1080p 72" screen.

Galore!, but it will be almost as expensive as a new Corvette! UGH!!!!!!!!!!!! disgusting!

All it requires is a VERY good interface, and very good interconnection via a connection Cable, thus, with the current technology capabilities, a new next-generation interface ahead of DVI. Heck, it can be called something different from DVI, just like compared with VGA. Or else, it can be called DVI 2.0. Else, it could be called SDVI, or S-DVI (Super DVI).

As long as the actual improvements are there, it counts.

Bo_Fox said:
120 Hz must be for the gaming---the true reason!!! Football players who can afford to pay $40,000 for this monitor truly care about the gaming! There are rumors that the upcoming PS3 can support up to 120 Hz refresh rate in games. When the TV still has a 120 Hz refresh rate, being fed component video at 120 Hz, it should look amazing on a 1080p 72" screen.

Galore!, but it will be almost as expensive as a new Corvette! UGH!!!!!!!!!!!! disgusting!

Uh dude, I doubt the RSX GPU in the PS3 can render scenes at 1080p at 120fps..or else, your 120hz is useless. :rolleyes:

All right, here's the link...
http://www.gamespot.com/news/6136786.html

"All that's needed is a TV capable of displaying it."

Let's stop being pessimistic about it and look at the bright side (at the fact that Sony is expecting the PS3 to run games at 120fps, at least at the lower resolutions, and ready to take advantage of the technology).

Bo_Fox said:
All right, here's the link...
http://www.gamespot.com/news/6136786.html

"All that's needed is a TV capable of displaying it."

Let's stop being pessimistic about it and look at the bright side (at the fact that Sony is expecting the PS3 to run games at 120fps, at least at the lower resolutions, and ready to take advantage of the technology).

Say...can you play GRAW/Oblivion at 1900x1080 at 120fps on a 7900GTX?.

That's why I said "lower resolutions"..

Some games might not be as graphically intensive as Oblivion, you know! Say, the PS3 can do 720p at 120 Hz while playing some 3-D shooter multiplayer (online)...

LEET!

Back