Dell 2001FP DVI will not come out of power save mode - HELP!

csorrows

Weaksauce
I'm helping a friend install new computers in his office, and one of the systems was ordered with a Dell 2001FP monitor. The systems are Dell Optiplex with some sort of nVidia AGP video card (not sure of the model or specs).

The 2001FP was working great for about three days, then this morning they tell me it wouldn't wake up from power save mode.

I went over there and sure enough, nothing we could do on the system would wake it up. The PC was definitely on (we could ping it and connect to network shares on it), and we power cycled it several times to try and get the 2001FP to wake up, but no luck.

We swapped the AGP card with another system (they ordered multiple ones, so all the vid cards are the same). Same thing. So then we took one of their 17" Dell LCDs and hooked it up - no problems. Then, we took the 2001FP and plugged it in and it worked!

So then, we restarted the PC and the 2001FP again wouldn't wake up when the system came up. Cycling the source selection back through to the DVI input, it still said the system was in power save mode, when clearly the PC was up and running.

Anybody have similar problems, or a solution? I'm on hold with Dell right now, and hate to have to return it if there's a simple solution. I also tried searching the forum posts, but I noticed the admins have turned off searching :(

Any help greatly appreciated!

Thanks

weird. I've had this weird issue lately that on bootup, the login screen would be black like in powersave mode. I turned the monitor off and on again and it would be just fine.

Best just to return it to be honest, my 2001fp didn't come on once when i turned my pc on but then my old crt did exactly the same thing every now and so it was probably my pc, i would say it's the monitors faullt here.

There is a known issue with Radeon cards. My 9800xt would do that until I flashed the bios , (supplied by ASus on thier site) I would suggest you call Dell and ask them about video card bios availability.

Turns out it's a known issue. Something to do with Dell video drivers and the monitor's EDID (Extended Device ID?). Somehow the EDID gets screwed up and the monitor gets stuck in power save mode.

Long thread about it here on Dell's forums:

http://forums.us.dell.com/supportfo...essage.id=27226&view=by_date_ascending&page=1

Thread title is 1800FP, but it's happening with the 2001FP, too. Doesn't sound like there's a true fix for it yet, but some guy has EDID reset (DVI Restore) programs you can boot from a floppy or CD to try and restore it.

I guess I'll give that a try and see if it works.

did you set "Reduce DVI frequency on high-res displays" on?
My monitor used to act funny until I set that on.

enyceexdanny - Thanks for the post. Where would I find that setting? Is that part of the nVidia drivers?

I'm going back up there tomorrow to troubleshoot some more, and will try that. Thanks

oh.. I don't know if there's such setting for nvidia drivers. The ati one has those options.

Back