Delete Please.

The item you linked is it's own PSU. Instead of searching for a way to make 4 mobo's power off 1 psu, that would be an easier way to do things. imo

I am not sure if its possible to just bridge all 4. Im leaning towards no because PSUs output more than just power. Has a few lines for power OK type things.

If you wanted to just use a 500watt PSU to power four of those mini ATX power supplies then the solution is a lot more solid. You will need to wire the 12v lines to the ITX power supplies... and turn the main power supply 500w on (there are many guides in the case mod faq, but its the green wire with ground don't recall which pin).

Then you should be set... because each ITX board will have its own power switch, and front panel connectors so you can control it like that.

The only possible difficulty you may run into would be the Pico PSUs might not draw enough current when off and the power supply may turn itself off if it doesn't think there is a load.

That should work if your current ATX power supply has four 12V connectors with more than 10A per connector. I just looked quickly at two PSUs I have here and both have only three 12V 18A rails. (Antec Trupower Trio 550W and Corsair HX520), so that wouldn't work.

However, those little DC-DC power supplies are pricey if combined with an ATX - four times £28.91 + £50 (? good ATX) = £165.64!!! Better to sell the ATX and get a single, high capacity 12V regulated supply for the four.

OTOH, if you just bought four Mini-ITX PSU - from that web site four at £42.36 = £169.44. Sell the ATX for whatever you can get and offset that. E.g. if you got £25 for the ATX, your net cost would be £144.44 with no problems trying to make things work together.

There's no technical reason you can't splice a bunch of connectors to do it, since you have a pretty small load.

Step 1: get 500W PSU
Step 2: buy three short ATX extension cables, and cut off the unnecessary connector
Step 3: cut off the green wire for all the extension cables (leave it on the original)
Step 4: splice the wires together
Step 5: profit?

The PWR_OK signal is actually a signal the power supply sends to the motherboard to tell the MB that all the voltages are within tolerance and that it's ok to boot up. The green wire (PWR_ON) is the only one you don't want to duplicate.

You won't be able to power on and off individual PC's if you run them all off a single PSU using simple wiring. If you did something like gang up a bunch of relays or FETs to individually cut power to each motherboard based on its PS_ON output, it would be possible.

Either build something like that, go with 4 separate PSU's, or connect PS_ON from only a single motherboard to the supply. This "master" motherboard will control the power for the other 3, turning those on/off along with itself.

Hello,

I'm looking to power 4 * Mini ITX motherboards from a single PSU, the boards are very low power but I want to use a single 500W ATX PSU to power all 4. I also need to be able to power each system on and off independently etc. I've searched around the net but have found no real answer, any have any ideas?

Maybe I could power 4 of these from a good ATX PSU:
http://linitx.com/viewproduct.php?prodid=10916

Thanks!

i'd go with the link you have there then get a good power brick and connect em all together. it will work MUCH better than hacking away at a PSU.

i have 2 running off 1 power brick, and one in my car. picopsu's are very good imo

Back