• A Great friend to the HardForum with a great kid that he is trying to get a scholorship to continue his schooling. Please give hime a vote! Only 24 hours left! Thanks.
    If you have an VOTE FOR KEENAN!

Defragment question

WarriorX

2[H]4U
2FA
Joined
Nov 18, 2006
Messages
2,353
Quick question
When I defrag my HD, will it slow/hurt the process if I run programs, or surf the internet?
Thanks
 
Quick question
When I defrag my HD, will it slow/hurt the process if I run programs, or surf the internet?
Thanks

A little bit, and the files accessed will not be defragged, but defragging should not be a "benchmark" so you shouldn't care. And if you do.. you need help.
 
Slow the process? Yes
Hurt anything? Doubt it
Why would you want to run defrag when you're using your box anyway?
I always run defrag in safe mode when box is not in use... but that's just me.
 
Thanks for the responses. I was just wondering because sometimes I would start to defrag, and needed to browse the internet for something. So I wanted to know if I should stop it or let it continue.
 
Thanks for the responses. I was just wondering because sometimes I would start to defrag, and needed to browse the internet for something. So I wanted to know if I should stop it or let it continue.
I've noticed a slight slow down (machine response, not internet) when defraging. I don't see a reason why you shouldn't defrag.
 
Back
Top