• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Decent gaming headphones

slug3k

n00b
Joined
Oct 1, 2008
Messages
14
Looking for good circumaural headphones that will be used just for gaming. Here's the specifics:

- need a set where you can easily tell where opponents are
- reasonably comfortable and durable, not hot
- microphone is ok but not necessary since I have a desktop mic
- surround and/or USB adapter is ok but not necessary
- doesn't matter how they sound for music/movies
- under $150

So many options out there but I can't figure out which are good. For every model it seems there are always ups and downs. I don't need perfection, but my biggest concerns are just being able to tell where people are in a game as well as get ones that won't hurt to wear after a while. Any suggestions?

Thanks
 
For just gaming, gotta recommend the Koss SB-40. Costs $30-40, have an attached mic ( I know not a need heh), and have great positioning.
 
Beyerdynamic DT770 80 ohm. Very, very good for gaming (also movies and some genres of music, but that's beside the point). To get those around $100, you need to look at used e.g. Head-Fi FS/FT.

Sony MDR-V6 with velour pads are nice if that doesn't work out. They don't have quite the kick in the bass that the DT770s do, but they don't have any real weaknesses either. With the pad replacement, extremely comfy.

The HARX700 are good but not quite as strong for gaming. The Audio Technicas they're imitating would be a bit better, and some models are still in budget - but again, not quite as appropriate for gaming as the above two options.
 
The AD700's are regularly recommended for gaming due to their large soundstage and they can be found on amazon for around $100.
 
Beyerdynamic DT770 80 ohm. Very, very good for gaming (also movies and some genres of music, but that's beside the point). To get those around $100, you need to look at used e.g. Head-Fi FS/FT..

Agreed! You'll love the DT770 for gaming, just will have to search for a used pair for around that price.
 
The AD700's are regularly recommended for gaming due to their large sound stage and they can be found on amazon for around $100.

Definitely an amazing soundstage that is brilliant for positioning in games. However, I find in somes games the lack of bass can be annoying at times. Hard to explain, but playing TF2 with nades and rockets flying and exploding all around you, it is pretty much mandatory to add a bit of a bass boost to your EQ.

I typically use the M50, but as amazing as it is for music and sound in general, it would benefit from the expanded sound stage opens like the AD700 have.
 
has anyone used plantronics dsp-500 or gamecom pro 1? I just ordered a pair. hoping they are decent, really wanted a nice clean pair of USB heaphones.
 
has anyone used plantronics dsp-500 or gamecom pro 1? I just ordered a pair. hoping they are decent, really wanted a nice clean pair of USB heaphones.

Was wondering, a pair of which, but they look like the same unit under different badges.

It doesn't look very promising in terms of producing clean sound, but who knows. It's certainly USB.
 
Audio Technica AD700 or A700 (I own these). I must agree that the bass is lacking with these headphones, but that's what made me buy them. I hate how come headphones have boomy/punchy bass, and throw in endless amount of explosions in a game=I can't hear anything.


Another good heaphone is the Sennheiser 555.
 
I've had several of the best budget headphones.

I'd rank the Koss SB40 lowest. It has the worst sound and the mic is worthless. You'll have to buy a clip if you get this so you may as well just get dedicated phones. I've bought two pairs on ebay for around $30 and they've been durable but my cats chew the cords.

In the middle is the HARX700. They sound a bit better than the Koss. I think I paid a bit over $30. I got them a couple weeks ago to use as my wife's main headset.

At the top I'd put the AD700s. These headphones are EXTREMELY comfortable compared to the others. I'd also imagine they're more comfortable than the A700s. The sound is extremely clear and it really shows up during games with a lot of explosions, gunfire, etc going on. The above two will blend the sounds together a lot more, whereas it's much easier to pick out individual sounds on the AD700s. I was hesitant to spend the $90 on them since I'm not an audiophile and had seen some trolls trying to claim that the HARX700s are almost indistinguishable, but there's a huge difference. At default they are a bit light on bass but that can be fixed with an equalizer. The positional audio is also far superior to the others.

With any of these you're going to get what you pay for. It's just a matter of if you want to spend $30-$40 or $80-$100.
 
Thanks for the input all, I think I'm leaning towards either the AD700 or the MDR-V6.
 
Back
Top