Dead hard drive

Torbar

n00b
Joined
Oct 14, 2009
Messages
19
Hi,
My friend has a Western Digital 1TB external drive that suddenly stopped being recognized by the computer, it started showing up as an Unknown Device. I opened the case, and inside is a Caviar Green model number WD10EAVS, so I plugged that directly in through SATA, into both a PC and a Mac. On the PC it's not showing up in the BIOS(other SATA drives do), and in the Mac it's not showing up in the Apple System Profiler or Disk Utility.
I also put a known working drive into the enclosure and it doesn't show up.

Anyone have any ideas? The data is importantish, but probably not worth the cost of sending it to a drive recovery place.
 
Does the drive spin?

Try removing the jumper if there is one, then hook directly to sata again.
 
Back
Top