*Dead* - Cheapish 8 port PoE+ Switch

never heard of them, they are chinese, and they like to "call home" for some reason...
might be worth the extra $20 to get a tplink or something else known and trusted.

I've got a number of super cheap 2.5GbE "chinese" switches in use now. $35 is too good to pass up, even have 10Gb SFP+ ports (that i'm not using).

never heard of them, they are chinese, and they like to "call home" for some reason...
might be worth the extra $20 to get a tplink or something else known and trusted.
End of the day, they are all Chinese. Cisco, HP, etc. And now with the "Smart" licensing, they are all phoning home one way or the other.

My thoughts as well. Even though those are chinese made, at least the companies are actively trying to make them secure.
I've got a number of super cheap 2.5GbE "chinese" switches in use now. $35 is too good to pass up, even have 10Gb SFP+ ports (that i'm not using).
I always ask myself how much damage costs when there is no security. That makes the prices on shady stuff always good enough to pass up. ;)
End of the day, they are all Chinese. Cisco, HP, etc. And now with the "Smart" licensing, they are all phoning home one way or the other.
True, but those companies won't get in bed with china because they know they would lose their whole company. Keep the chinese out of their stuff is in their best interest and in ours so they're far better than the 'malware included free!' variety that sell on ali and other chinese outlets.

Never heard of tenda huh, interesting.

I bought a no-name router on Ali for like $40 with the claimed specs of like a $100 one. Should I be scared to use it? (Serious question) if it supports a flash to say ddwrt or tomato would that help?

BTW deal appears to be dead.

I bought a no-name router on Ali for like $40 with the claimed specs of like a $100 one. Should I be scared to use it? (Serious question) if it supports a flash to say ddwrt or tomato would that help?

I wouldn't that's for sure. Unless it's behind another router and locked to only lan access. And even then I would worry as lateral movement is a widely used technique.

nope, not until this thread.
nope, still wouldnt trust it.
see above post.

nope, not until this thread.
nope, still wouldnt trust it.
see above post.
Tenda has been around for decades and has 100’s of 1000’s of purchase history and reviews on Amazon. I’ve used a few of their devices but always made for the cheapest plastic, this looks to be encased in metal at least.

Yeah never plugged in that router yet. I have 2 others but was really hoping to segregate critical shit from all these home devices the family keeps buying. Mac leases and device management have become an issue.

Funny (stupid maybe?) that I would put my security cameras and what not on a cloned or whatever Chinese device

Tenda has been around for decades and has 100’s of 1000’s of purchase history and reviews on Amazon. I’ve used a few of their devices but always made for the cheapest plastic, this looks to be encased in metal at least.

Yeah never plugged in that router yet. I have 2 others but was really hoping to segregate critical shit from all these home devices the family keeps buying. Mac leases and device management have become an issue.

Funny (stupid maybe?) that I would put my security cameras and what not on a cloned or whatever Chinese device
I'm sure the Greeks thought the Trojan Horse was really cool too. :D

The "red scare" in this thread is ridiculous...
It is until it isn't. There's documentation that china wants to control the world by 2050 and they're pretty much on track--Hong Kong is reeled in, Taiwan is in their sights, who knows what they've done to provoke or fan the flames in the middle east, and all this while russia is also trying to ascent to what they once were by hammering on ukraine and saber rattling with nato. We haven't been this close to ww3 in my entire life, and the ukraine conflict has proven that cyberwarfare is the new battlefield in parallel with the kinetic battlefield.

This may all sound scary and far fetched, but it's a reality for people in war zones already. I don't want to live with a potential trojan horse anywhere near me because pearl harbor happened before and it can happen again. No one has ever invaded the USA, but I could see china wanting to do it for the bragging rights. My glocks are loaded.

It is until it isn't. There's documentation that china wants to control the world by 2050 and they're pretty much on track--Hong Kong is reeled in, Taiwan is in their sights, who knows what they've done to provoke or fan the flames in the middle east, and all this while russia is also trying to ascent to what they once were by hammering on ukraine and saber rattling with nato. We haven't been this close to ww3 in my entire life, and the ukraine conflict has proven that cyberwarfare is the new battlefield in parallel with the kinetic battlefield.

This may all sound scary and far fetched, but it's a reality for people in war zones already. I don't want to live with a potential trojan horse anywhere near me because pearl harbor happened before and it can happen again. No one has ever invaded the USA, but I could see china wanting to do it for the bragging rights. My glocks are loaded.
I gotcha. Mines are always loaded lol

I gotcha. Mines are always loaded lol
I think us citizens being allowed to have arms is one of the main reasons we haven't ever been invaded (and no one has even tried). I could imagine a foe against a bunch of raging angry Americans armed with guns--all 250 million+ of us--we're the largest non-organized civilian army in the world. And the only way to defeat us is to divide and conquer which sadly is working online. :( And those that want us defeated want to see our reality look like online, so that's where the war is...for now...

Back