Dead 17" CRT - ideas on what's wrong?

mpeg4v3

Gawd
So my old RA gave me his dead 17" CRT since it died and he got a new one. He said one day he was browsing some web sites when it just cut out, and he had to go out and buy a new one.
I plugged it in, and hit the button- nothing happens. I do, however, hear a tick-tick-tick noise coming out of it, and since there's not even a status light on the front, I figure this tick-tick-tick has something to do with the power/electricity aspect of it. I opened it up to see if I could see any burnt stuff on the board, but I couldn't see anything. I did confirm that the noise was coming from the silicon board that housed all the electronics though, just not sure where.
Anyway, I was wondering if someone could answer the following:
1.) Any idea on a specific part of it you think is dead?
2.) Does it sound like it could be easily repairable for a cheap price? It's just a generic monitor from 2000 without even a brand name on it so I can't send it in for warranty.
3.) Does anyone know of any places in the San Diego area that I can send it in to be repaired? Or is it just not worth it?
4.) Think I could get anything for it on eBay as an as-is, doesn't work, might be repairable item?

Sounds like your flyback transformer went out. Have a 21" Dell Flat CRT Trinitron that i got for free. It has a bad flyback also. Local repair guy said he could get the part for $100, but not labour!

Back