DDNS Help w/ Foscam Web Cameras

Carlosinfl

Loves the juice
I have two Foscam FI8910W wireless web cameras I picked up. I configured the wireless settings for my Asus RT-N66U in each camera (SSID, WPA2 Sec info) and I can connect via wireless to each camera on my local LAN by browsing to their LAN IP's:

foscam1 = 192.168.1.112:80
foscam2 = 192.168.1.113:80

I've now configured a DDNS account w/ www.no-ip.org. When I go to my <username>.no-ip.org, it resolves my ISP provided public IP address however doesn't really resolve anything. I am assuming this is because once my request hits my home wireless router's public IP, it doesn't know where to direct the port traffic. Can someone please help me configure this or tell me what the process would be on my WAP / router? Do I need to make some port forwarding rules on my WAP that says any incoming TCP request on port 80 should be forwarded to 192.168.1.{112/113}? Is that all I'm missing in this configuration?

Thanks for any advice and or help. Not sure if I should change the web port from 80 that the foscam's listen on?

You need to do port forwarding on router. You'll want to forward two ports one for each camera. I recommend using non-standard ports. Example: Forward 13256/tcp to 192.168.1.112 on 80/tcp and 13257/tcp to 192.168.1.113 on 80/tcp.

I'd also recommend, if feasable for your use case, creating a whitelist of source IPs that are allowed to trigger the forwarding rules.

You need to port forward.

You also need to make sure the IP address on the Cameras are static, otherwise it'll stop working.

(the internal IP addresses need to be static.. the point of DDNS is for the external WAN interface on your router.. if the internal ip changes, but the DDNS still works, then you're not gonna see your cams)

The cameras are dynamic however my Asus router is handling DHCP. Based on their (cameras) MAC address, they will always be issued the same dynamic IP address.

Thanks all for the help. Going to give this a try this evening :)

Back