DD-WRT in client bridge mode, can only access LAN. No internet

irishBoiler

Weaksauce
Pretty much what the title says. I flashed a WRT-54G v6 w/ dd-wrt micro. All is well (pretty sweet, btw. Never tried dd-wrt before).

I directly plug my laptop into the router that is to be bridged to the "master" router. I follow the instructions on the wiki and http://www.wi-fiplanet.com/tutorials/article.php/3639271

Now I am getting DHCP IPs from the master router and I can see everything on the LAN, but I can't access the internet from the client router. What am I missing?

Thanks in advance

Open command prompt and type "ipconfig /all". Make sure that your Gateway and DNS has the same IP address.

BTW, if you are receiving an IP address but have no internet then it's an DNS issue.

Running ipconfig, it says

IPv44 Address....................: 192.168.1.68(Preferred)
Default Gateway.................: 0.0.0.0

DNS Servers........................: 192.168.1.254

So it looks like you guys are both right. I tried release/renew and it didn't work. Any ideas?

Just go into the client/bridge router and set the Gateway to 192.168.1.254.

Ugh, to bad Tomato won't work with the gimped v6, I despise DD-WRT for the crap it pulls like this. Tomato is dead simple.

If you're in bridged mode the gateway on the client router doesn't really matter since its not routing traffic. And since its not the DHCP server, setting it there won't fix the problem, though your dd-wrt box can probably get to the Internet now :p.

This looks like a DHCP problem. Are you sure DHCP server is disabled on the client router and that you're actually getting a lease from the 'master' device? Does it work if you configure the client manually? Can you ping other devices across the bridged wireless link?

Make sure your using the latest recommended version of DD-WRT, v24-sp2.

v24-sp1 had lots of problems with DHCP and its no longer recomended. The tutorial your using is out of date.

You might want to go to DD-WRT site and look at some of the stickies there. They should help you get it up and running.

I'm using v24-sp2. Sorry, i should have said that I went to this and downloading the GV5Flash.zip file in this wiki instructions. http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Linksys_WRT54G_v5.0_&_5.1_&_6.0

I confirmed on the router itself, I have the following exact build:
DD-WRT v24-sp2 (07/22/09) micro
(SVN revision 12548M NEWD Eko)

Also, I can ping and connect to all devices in the LAN, whether they are across the bridge or not

Any more ideas?

Last edited:
Does it work if you configure it manually? This sounds like your DHCP server is giving bogus leases or for some reason your DHCP client is messed up and not accepting the gateway.

Make sure your router is set to router not gateway, and also reboot your computer. I was having all sorts of issues like this when I got FIOS, had to use their router and then forward to mine. Couldnt get out to the internet, TS for a solid half hour, rebooted and it worked. Windows 7

Configure what manually?

All the TCP/IP settings. Add a static IP, set the netmask, gateway and DNS and see if you can get online.

This appears to be a DHCP issue from the information you've provided, but I can't even speculate on a cause, it seems very strange.

Add your master router IP adress as primary DNS server for your laptop NIC config. I had same issue and this worked for me. But Im using static IP no DHCP. Good luck.

Back