I've been tasked with salvaging data from an ancient Windows XP machine with a pair of hard drives which used to be joined in a RAID and separated into three partitions. The computer has been sitting, unplugged, in storage for about a year after suffering some kind of catastrophic failure which caused Windows to, in the words of the owner, stop booting up, so god knows what kind of deterioration it's suffered. Normally I'd be comfortable with recovering data from a hard drive, but I've never had to deal with something like this before, and it has me stumped. The files seem to be jumbled up like mismatched puzzle pieces: a single .mp3 contains three or four different songs, for example, and Word documents are like something out of a random text generator. I'm assuming this is because of the RAID, but I'm honestly out of my comfort zone here.
I'm looking for some good data recovery software to try to salvage something from these drives. Any recommendations?
I'm looking for some good data recovery software to try to salvage something from these drives. Any recommendations?