Data archiving

staticz

Limp Gawd
What kinds of data archiving strategies do you guys use within your companies? I felt that because disk space was cheap it wouldn't be necessary especially in a small business environment, however the boss feels otherwise. Fair enough I suppose but data archiving seems to be a bit of a lost art, at least in my close circle of friends and colleagues. I've read up on a few strategies, but was hoping for some more examples, if anyone still does it.

On site incremental nightlies.
Weekly offsite full backup.

~8GB of project and financial data.

Offsite is critical for a business, risk of fire or theft, could severely ruin you, insurance or not.

The backup strategy is taken care of, I think we may have gotten terms crossed. My boss wants to compress old data, but leave it on the file server in case it needs to be accessed.

The backup strategy is taken care of, I think we may have gotten terms crossed. My boss wants to compress old data, but leave it on the file server in case it needs to be accessed.
Ah, the small companies I've worked for not been a problem. Projects are often tiny. Example from above 8GB of data, covers over 10years of projects and data.

Documents really don't take up much space.

It shouldn't be an issue. As you said in the OP, HDD space is very inexpensive. Just get a 1TB, or 2TB or a few of said drives and RAID them, however much you need. Or break up different years across different drives, etc. I wouldn't even compress, compression would just make it a slow sluggish pain in the ass to search and use.

I'd consider RAID of some sort, RAID1 or RAID5+hot spare. If the archive data is properly backed up, the issue isn't maintaining integrity, it's a matter of when you need that data, you need it then, and it would be highly inconvenient and could effect revenue if it's not available on demand. RAID would help guarantee that.

Back