Dashpuppy Get's His first Real Piece of Cisco Gear

dashpuppy

Supreme [H]ardness
Yes i now, its MOLDY OLD AND OUT DATED

however, it was brand new in the box, never opened never used never tested or powered on, still had the cisco tape from factory on the box.

Tonight i got a free Cisco 2600 :)

Now to start learning and configuring it and such. Will be learning and building a lab to take my ccna, since my work will pay for it all etc etc.

Also got my self a pair of nortel Business policy switches 2000 only 10/100 units with fiber cards but they do vlans so meh.

I will be buying some cisco vlan capable switches, and later on buying some 24 port gigabit cisco switches for home use.

Dash.

Pic's :)

IMG_0619.JPG

IMG_0621.JPG

you know if it's a 2600XM?

also run a 'show version' command and paste in the results here. i'm just curious. :p

You do know how much Cisco 24 port gigabyte switches cost don't you (i do mean the real Cisco not the Linksys with a Cisco badge)

You're wife must love you that she allows you to ave your computer stuff all over the place...

You do know how much Cisco 24 port gigabyte switches cost don't you (i do mean the real Cisco not the Linksys with a Cisco badge)

fleabay will cost you anywhere between $1500-3000 for a 48 port 3560. do you take discover card? :D

it's either a cisco one, or a procurve :)

You're wife must love you that she allows you to ave your computer stuff all over the place...

See the rack I posted pictures of in the pictures thread i'm allowed to have what ever will fit into that :)

fleabay will cost you anywhere between $1500-3000 for a 48 port 3560. do you take discover card? :D

I have cc cards yes LOL!! i need a 24 port, 48 is over needed for sure!

you know if it's a 2600XM?

also run a 'show version' command and paste in the results here. i'm just curious. :p

You want me to do what ? I don't even have the software to log into this machine, i have a brand new SHINY BLUE console cable tho :)

Like i stated im learning and very new to cisco ( real ) gear! Hence why i grabbed it, to LEARN! :)

Link to instructions of what you wish me to do ? and software ?

use putty to log into it.

I use a ProCurve 1800-24 and its pretty good for home use, I don't think its really worth getting a gigabit cisco switch for home to be honest.

Nice one, I still don't own any cisco stuff yet. I'd have to pick some stuff up at some point if I ever want to get my CCNA. I placed my rack so I can have room for another so I'd probably add a relay rack for the cisco stuff.

plug the serial console cable into the console port on the router, start putty and set the connection type to serial, should be able to leave all the defaults, hit open. power up the router and watch the magic happen.

################################################################################ ################################################# [OK]

Smart Init is enabled
smart init is sizing iomem
ID MEMORY_REQ TYPE
00036B 0X00103980 C2611XM Dual Fast Ethernet
0X00098670 public buffer pools
0X00211000 public particle pools
TOTAL: 0X003ACFF0

If any of the above Memory Requirements are
"UNKNOWN", you may be using an unsupported
configuration or there is a software problem and
system operation may be compromised.
Rounded IOMEM up to: 4Mb.
Using 3 percent iomem. [4Mb/128Mb]

Restricted Rights Legend

Use, duplication, or disclosure by the Government is
subject to restrictions as set forth in subparagraph
(c) of the Commercial Computer Software - Restricted
Rights clause at FAR sec. 52.227-19 and subparagraph
(c) (1) (ii) of the Rights in Technical Data and Computer
Software clause at DFARS sec. 252.227-7013.

cisco Systems, Inc.
170 West Tasman Drive
San Jose, California 95134-1706

Cisco Internetwork Operating System Software
IOS (tm) C2600 Software (C2600-IPBASE-M), Version 12.3(6b), RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc 1)
Copyright (c) 1986-2004 by cisco Systems, Inc.
Compiled Wed 19-May-04 23:03 by dchih
Image text-base: 0x80008098, data-base: 0x80ECF804

cisco 2611XM (MPC860P) processor (revision 0x300) with 126976K/4096K bytes of memory.
Processor board ID JAE0817F165 (73031300)
M860 processor: part number 5, mask 2
Bridging software.
X.25 software, Version 3.0.0.
2 FastEthernet/IEEE 802.3 interface(s)
32K bytes of non-volatile configuration memory.
32768K bytes of processor board System flash (Read/Write)

Slot is empty or does not support clock participate
WIC slot is empty or does not support clock participate
%Error opening tftp://255.255.255.255/network-confg (Socket error)
%Error opening tftp://255.255.255.255/cisconet.cfg (Socket error)
%Error opening tftp://255.255.255.255/aces-confg (Socket error)
%Error opening tftp://255.255.255.255/aces.cfg (Socket error)

Press RETURN to get started!

*Mar 1 00:00:09.502: %LINK-3-UPDOWN: Interface FastEthernet0/0, changed state to up
*Mar 1 00:00:09.502: %LINK-3-UPDOWN: Interface FastEthernet0/1, changed state to up
*Mar 1 00:00:10.620: %LINEPROTO-5-UPDOWN: Line protocol on Interface FastEthernet0/0, changed state to down
*Mar 1 00:00:10.620: %LINEPROTO-5-UPDOWN: Line protocol on Interface FastEthernet0/1, changed state to down
*Mar 1 00:00:10.852: %SYS-5-CONFIG_I: Configured from memory by console
*Mar 1 00:00:12.371: %LINK-5-CHANGED: Interface FastEthernet0/1, changed state to administratively down
*Mar 1 00:00:13.721: %SYS-4-CONFIG_RESOLVE_FAILURE: System config parse from (tftp://255.255.255.255/network-confg) failed
*Mar 1 00:00:13.725: %SYS-4-CONFIG_RESOLVE_FAILURE: System config parse from (tftp://255.255.255.255/cisconet.cfg) failed
*Mar 1 00:00:13.733: %SYS-4-CONFIG_RESOLVE_FAILURE: System config parse from (tftp://255.255.255.255/aces-confg) failed
*Mar 1 00:00:13.737: %SYS-4-CONFIG_RESOLVE_FAILURE: System config parse from (tftp://255.255.255.255/aces.cfg) failed
*Mar 1 00:00:13.737: %SYS-5-RESTART: System restarted --
IOS (tm) C2600 Software (C2600-IPBASE-M), Version 12.3(6b), RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc1)
*Mar 1 00:00:13.741: %SNMP-5-COLDSTART: SNMP agent on host aces is undergoing a cold start
aces>
*Mar 1 00:00:43.746: %SYS-4-CONFIG_RESOLVE_FAILURE: System config parse from (tftp://255.255.255.255/network-confg) failed
*Mar 1 00:00:43.750: %SYS-4-CONFIG_RESOLVE_FAILURE: System config parse from (tftp://255.255.255.255/cisconet.cfg) failed
*Mar 1 00:00:43.754: %SYS-4-CONFIG_RESOLVE_FAILURE: System config parse from (tftp://255.255.255.255/aces-confg) failed
*Mar 1 00:00:43.758: %SYS-4-CONFIG_RESOLVE_FAILURE: System config parse from (tftp://255.255.255.255/aces.cfg) failed
aces>
*Mar 1 00:01:43.753: %SYS-4-CONFIG_RESOLVE_FAILURE: System config parse from (tftp://255.255.255.255/network-confg) failed
*Mar 1 00:01:43.761: %SYS-4-CONFIG_RESOLVE_FAILURE: System config parse from (tftp://255.255.255.255/cisconet.cfg) failed
*Mar 1 00:01:43.765: %SYS-4-CONFIG_RESOLVE_FAILURE: System config parse from (tftp://255.255.255.255/aces-confg) failed
*Mar 1 00:01:43.769: %SYS-4-CONFIG_RESOLVE_FAILURE: System config parse from (tftp://255.255.255.255/aces.cfg) failed

aces>show version
IOS (tm) C2600 Software (C2600-IPBASE-M), Version 12.3(6b), RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc1)
Image text-base: 0x80008098, data-base: 0x80ECF804

ROM: System Bootstrap, Version 12.2(8r) [cmong 8r], RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc1)

aces uptime is 7 minutes
System returned to ROM by power-on
System image file is "flash:c2600-ipbase-mz.123-6b.bin"

cisco 2611XM (MPC860P) processor (revision 0x300) with 126976K/4096K bytes of memory.
Processor board ID JAE0817F165 (73031300)
M860 processor: part number 5, mask 2
Bridging software.
X.25 software, Version 3.0.0.
2 FastEthernet/IEEE 802.3 interface(s)
32K bytes of non-volatile configuration memory.
32768K bytes of processor board System flash (Read/Write)

Configuration register is 0x2102

aces>

People still use discover card?!?!??!?!?!?!?!?!??!

On topic, nice dash. I'm going to have to start assembling a lab here shortly...

People still use discover card?!?!??!?!?!?!?!?!??!

On topic, nice dash. I'm going to have to start assembling a lab here shortly...

Not sure what to buy or what to do, but hey, i have something in my rack that is REAL lol.

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
You might like it, but the CLI is infinitely better on most Cisco gear (outside of their appliance/server stuff, and possibly the newer ASA code). For routers and switches, get used to CLI or don't bother trying to "learn" Cisco.

The CLI is easier and less work for most tasks on most devices. I'm lost in the Dell or HP GUIs. They don't make any sense and nothing is logical (to me). The HP CLI is much easier than the GUI. Cisco is the same way for most stuff.

The CLI is easier and less work for most tasks on most devices. I'm lost in the Dell or HP GUIs. They don't make any sense and nothing is logical (to me). The HP CLI is much easier than the GUI. Cisco is the same way for most stuff.

maybe u can post a picture of the 2, because im lost with all this clu gui cheesewhiz stuff

my brain is all mush today, spent my whole weekend doing Lexmark Certifications, then last night at 2am i was finishing my last DTT Dell 9.0 course ( 89% btw :)

Here's an example, setting up port forwarding - not mine, too lazy to do the screenshots atm.

http://www.gregledet.net/?p=537

You can go through those steps or you can enter config mode and type 4 lines. Now imagine trying to walk someone at a remote site through setting it up. Fumble your way as you explain how to navigate the asdm or sent an email and tell them to paste it in the console.

ASDM is just immensely confusing - there's so many buttons and icons everywhere that it suffers from information overload. The CLI is nice becuase you only get as much detail as you specifically ask for.

ASDM is just immensely confusing - there's so many buttons and icons everywhere that it suffers from information overload. The CLI is nice becuase you only get as much detail as you specifically ask for.

cli = command line interface ?

Command Line Interface, yes.

I've always wanted to write a 'Command Line Interface Tool' for something, then label it with a knowing wink.

Command Line Interface, yes.

I've always wanted to write a 'Command Line Interface Tool' for something, then label it with a knowing wink.

for me cli = yuckie, i want GUI! :) Isn't there a app that has to be run or a address in a browser ?

that's what i want :)

yup there are also stupid issues with ASDM on ASAs. I once tried it and I struggled to change settings due to needing to change 2 settings to switch an ASA to a new ISP and the two settings being on two pages. Switch between pages and you need to apply the change but changing one or the other setting cuts you off unless you can change both.

IOS devices do have a web interface (ip http secure-server or something like that) however it's really gross, it's essentially like a directory listing, but instead of files, you get commands. So you keep going through until the command is fnished.

ASA have ASDM - which is the web interface that Vito posted a bit up, that's enabled by typing a command and then you go to the internal IP of ASA on whatever interface it is enable on (IIRC, can only be enable on the inside interface, with security100). Either that or dedicated management interface.

for me cli = yuckie, i want GUI! :) Isn't there a app that has to be run or a address in a browser ?

that's what i want :)

Then sell your router and stop making all these posts/threads about Cisco. 95% of Cisco network engineers are NOT using a GUI for anything related to router or switches (and firewalls too, most likely).

I'm not sure why you decided to learn this stuff if you refuse to learn the CLI. High-end networking is going to be mostly CLI. The big vendors are pushing their respective management GUIs, but they aren't commonplace yet, and likely won't be for most companies.

IOS devices do have a web interface (ip http secure-server or something like that) however it's really gross, it's essentially like a directory listing, but instead of files, you get commands. So you keep going through until the command is fnished.

ASA have ASDM - which is the web interface that Vito posted a bit up, that's enabled by typing a command and then you go to the internal IP of ASA on whatever interface it is enable on (IIRC, can only be enable on the inside interface, with security100). Either that or dedicated management interface.

yeah i found this screen shot,

asa-asdm4.png

This ^^ looks like something i could learn very fast! CLI well that will take me a bit.

To you other guys. I'm not a fan of ASDM either, but some high-level security guys I've spoken with are using it almost exclusively since the 8.3 changes. They say ASDM has become better than the CLI for many tasks. I'm not sure if I'll move to it anytime soon, but I may give it a try if I find 8.3+ to be a pain in the ass.

yeah i found this screen shot,

http://www.gregledet.net/wp-content/uploads/2010/08/asa-asdm4.png[IMG]

This ^^ looks like something i could learn very fast! CLI well that will take me a bit.[/QUOTE]

That's for firewalls, not routers and switches. If you're planning to get the CCNA, ASDM will mean nothing to you. I believe the GUI for IOS (routers only, IIRC) is now the Cisco Configuration Professional, which is garbage, IMO.

I'm stuck on 8.2.x for the time being (my ASA doesn't have a smartnet contract since we didn't have the budget. and I don't think we can buy one like a year later).

I like 8.2, but we don't really do much advanced work on the ASA (no SSC or the like as all of our hoses are linux for the time being).

I prefer pre-8.3 since it's what I know. I'm doing an ISP migration right now and the customer is using 8.3. This is my first real exposure to it, outside of reading Cisco's crap, blogs, etc. I don't hate it, but it does take some getting used to and I don't think I'm "good" at it yet.

Right now I'm in the planning stages of a fairly major (well, for this organization at least) network overhaul. We have a bunch of multihomed services (this is at a university, so they have a /16 IIRC, so all hosts get public IPs). We have a couple hosts behind NAT on the ASA. I'd like to get us a public /24, then carve that up and put some L3 switches at the core (Probably going to be Cisco SMB 300 series, with static routing) so that I can divide up our internal hosts.

I like the ASA series - they do exactly what they need to, without a lot of extra crap. We basically configured ours a year and a half ago, and we haven't needed to modify anything major on it since then - it's just set and forget.

Right now I'm in the planning stages of a fairly major (well, for this organization at least) network overhaul. We have a bunch of multihomed services (this is at a university, so they have a /16 IIRC, so all hosts get public IPs). We have a couple hosts behind NAT on the ASA. I'd like to get us a public /24, then carve that up and put some L3 switches at the core (Probably going to be Cisco SMB 300 series, with static routing) so that I can divide up our internal hosts.

I like the ASA series - they do exactly what they need to, without a lot of extra crap. We basically configured ours a year and a half ago, and we haven't needed to modify anything major on it since then - it's just set and forget.

what asa device model is it?

Back