Darwinia (Windows and Linux)

Z

Zinn

Hello,

I just picked up a copy of Darwinia. This has got to be the most visually engaging strategy game I've ever played... It's a strange combination of realtime action and strategy elements and it's really a fun to play. So much fun I've been playing for two hours straight. The PC needs more innovative games like this IMO, and it's great to have a native Linux version!

Has anyone else played this game? What are peoples' thoughts?

Check out these screenshots:
http://www.darwinia.co.uk/about/screenshots.html
The game is damn pretty and it runs smooth as butter. This is like the only strategy game I've ever seen that doesn't clutter the screen up with crap. I like alot! :D

I love it. Especially for the price, it's a ton of fun. I downloaded it off Steam and was pleasantly surprised. It's pretty slow paced but fun at the same time. Definitely something different after all the big triple A titles out there.

I've played the demo a number of times and I've been wanting to get the full version but never really had the money.

I usually don't like strategy games much but just loved Darwinia, the gameplay felt pretty unique (or at least a combination of lemmings & cannon fodder ;) ) and it had me hooked from the first minute.

The only complaint I have about it is that it's too short, you know, the usual complaint when a game is fun :p

You can use steam to download the game for about $20.

I really like the theme and how the game works. The only problems I have are: its short and it is somewhat 'easy'.

I really wish the AI wasn't so static, the 'evil darwinians' don't counter-attack onto other islands or anything..

I enjoyed the demo, but won't buy it till I get the other games that are higher up on my list, like HL2/Source/DODsource and HL2 Episode 1.

I did a dirty thing on this title, downloaded it from a dodgy torrent site... after playing it and loving every second, i did feel really bad for ripping it off,, then bought it on STEAM to cleanse my soul. Awesome game.

I enjoyed it - well worth the 20 bucks. I just wish there was a bit more strategy to it. Like what was already said, the AI doesn't do any sort of counterattack...once you cleared a section you don't have to leave any sort of defense behind. The game was more of a puzzle. "I have to take out these launchers before I can clear this section" type of style.

I wish it had a windowed mode, it seems good for casually playing while listening to music and IMing for some reason. Maybe that's just me though. :p

it does have a windowed mode... at least the linux version does. i do just that... IMs on one side, darwinia on the other :)

this indeed a very innovative game. I wish that more people can see beyond its simplistic stick figures

Back