Darn, i spilt soda on my laptop.. help?

arkaine

Limp Gawd
Okay, the deal is..

I spilt coca-cola on a little part of my laptop keyboard, so now, "U", "I" and "O" won't
work, neither will BACKSPACE, RETURN or any of the number/function keys..

I need some help on this matter, i've spilt soda on a regular keyboard before,
but simply cleaned it with water that time, which worked fine. But afraid to do it
on the laptop, even though it's old.

Can i fix this issue, or are some circuits probably destroyed? :)

There is a way to fix this but you have to have a steady hand.

I had a client come in which her laptop keyboard would not work with a couple keys. Apparently her dog peed on it and some of the wires were corroded.

To fix this I bought some conductive epoxy and some rubbing alcohal. First I took the keyboard appart and then cleaned the area that had the urine still in it with a q-tip dipped in the alcohal. Next I looked with a magnifying glass as to where the circuit was cut/erroded and used a toothpick dipped in the conductive epoxy and filled in the space where the wire was damaged on the printed circuit board. Worked beautifully afterwards.

Hope that works for you.

IceDigger said:
There is a way to fix this but you have to have a steady hand.

I had a client come in which her laptop keyboard would not work with a couple keys. Apparently her dog peed on it and some of the wires were corroded.

To fix this I bought some conductive epoxy and some rubbing alcohal. First I took the keyboard appart and then cleaned the area that had the urine still in it with a q-tip dipped in the alcohal. Next I looked with a magnifying glass as to where the circuit was cut/erroded and used a toothpick dipped in the conductive epoxy and filled in the space where the wire was damaged on the printed circuit board. Worked beautifully afterwards.

Hope that works for you.

Cleaning up dog piss?

A little too much for me.

Hope she paid you well :D

Really, it'd be faster and cheaper to find somebody on eBay selling a working pull keyboard from your laptop. Usually they go for under $60. Hell, 3 or 4 screws and the bastard's out of the notebook. I'd never clean out a keyboard when I can spend much less time replacing it.

A key on my keyboard recently cr*pped out on me and luckily it was under warranty. Got a replacement keyboard.

Yea like MrEvil said, it's pretty easy and only took me like 8 mins cuz i'm noob.

Back