Danner Pumps @ PetSmart

Well I have the 5 and will know how it performs soon enough, just waiting on my order from Danger Den so I can finish modding my shuttle case.

Originally posted by Gargoyle_Hunter
Does anyone have both that can actually show this? Not to flame, but it seems everyone is quoting a bunch of canned numbers...

Cathar does. I will take his word on the subject.

if everyone continues having decent luck with the mag3 I might consider dropping my long-standing vow to never use danner pumps again after they almost led to my system being fried on 2 separate occasions by 2 separate danner pump failures (lookit all the pretty water in the case + just flat out died).

the new impeller housing looks like a little better design than the old one.

anyone still having leak problems with them?
anyone have the impeller housing crack?
do they still make that damn clicky-click impeller noise?

I just ordered 2 mag3's Im going to run them in parallel, in case one fails.

it will probely bee a cupal weeks before i can install ithem though :(

Originally posted by weapon--

No, no, and no for my year old mag 5. My only gripes with it were the effect it had on my CRT (have a lcd now) and the vibration noise it made (fixed by isolating it from the case with neoprene).

Originally posted by Giblet Plus!
No, no, and no for my year old mag 5. My only gripes with it were the effect it had on my CRT (have a lcd now) and the vibration noise it made (fixed by isolating it from the case with neoprene).

Magnetic interference was that bad? How far away from the CRT was your tower? I'm in a situation where the tower will have to sit less than 3 feet away from my CRT on the same table.

Mine caused problems at about 3' away. 4' or more was okay. Most powerful pumps will do the same.

Originally posted by Giblet Plus!
Mine caused problems at about 3' away. 4' or more was okay. Most powerful pumps will do the same.

My Eheim 1250 is inside my case, and my monitor is less than 8 inches away and there is zero interference......

Interesting.

eheims are EMI shielded - danners are not....well, not 100% sure on the new danners but the older ones (i.e. 2 years ago) definitely had no shielding. They could fuXor your monitor bigtime if they were very close to it.

How does the Mag 3 square up against the Swiftech MCP600 and the Iwaki pumps? I was thinking the Swiftech MCP600 is convenient because it runs off your psu without a relay kit.

the swiftech pump is a higher pressure pump than the danner mag3. the iwaki's beat both.

i was looking at a mag3, but bought a dolphin dp-650 (11 ft of head, 650gph) instead for a bit more. now i just need some adaptors so i can run it inline instead of submerged like it is now.

eheims are EMI shielded - danners are not....well, not 100% sure on the new danners but the older ones (i.e. 2 years ago) definitely had no shielding. They could fuXor your monitor bigtime if they were very close to it.

Anyone with a recently purchased Danner Mag3 able to confirm whether or not they are EMI shielded?

Well, I could tell you guys about the interference tomorrow, but riddle me this...

What's with these little noises? It's kinda like clickity clicking, but it sounds like water scooting around in there. Any ideas?

Originally posted by peteyboy23

What's with these little noises? It's kinda like clickity clicking, but it sounds like water scooting around in there. Any ideas?

If you hear water moving, it means that you have bubbles in your setup still. The pump should really quiet down once the air gets out.

Originally posted by Crapgame
Anyone with a recently purchased Danner Mag3 able to confirm whether or not they are EMI shielded?

I'm extremely sure that they aren't shielded. That's why they are smaller than pumps like the Eheim that are.

well shit, I had big problems with my ehiem at about 5' away from my monitor, I am gonna have to find some kind of emi sheilding tape, I think Fry's has some of that metal emi tape, gonna have to look into that one

I don't see any bubbles moving around. I've tried tilting the pump, res, and rad around to try to work out the bubbles. It sounds like water inside the pump splashing/slurping around.

I am sorry if this is derailing the thread... while I'm at it though :D

Which barbs do I put clamps on? I originally thought all of them, but then I realized I can't fit them on everything... advice?

I put clamps on every barb/fitting.

Also that noise. How loud is it? If it is really loud it could be the impellar not seated correctly, if it is just a subtle noise then it is what Giblet said and is only air moving around through there. It also could be your rad making the noise from the same thing, air.

When I fill and bleed I usually turn my shit in every direction I can, even upside down if I can manage, I also kinda tap the bottom of the case on the ground to try and dislodge any air.

Hope that helps

Well, I have the RBX, so I don't see how anyone puts fittings around it.

It's not super loud, but it's noticable. I am on my couch, typing this, and I can hear it from 12-15 feet away pretty easily. I'm going to be annoyed if this doesn't clear up in the next couple of days. At least the company is 15 minutes from me, and I can get someone to swap it for me (whether they like it or not!).

It's definitely not the rad, and it is the pump.

Oh one other quick thing. The Danner Mag 3 (Pondmaster 350) is not shielded. It caused interference with my monitor, and headset. I am going to return it, and order another pump.

No Leaks
No Cracks
Yes, clicky-click impeller noise. Next time I take the pump apart, I will take the impeller and glue the fin section to the shaft.

Some other people were complaining about EMI, I have not experienced any problems with my Danner 3, but then again, I haven't tried to cause monitor problems either.

How far is your monitor away from the pump? I'm like <1' away, and it causes a noticable ripple. Also, talking through my mic, puts a very noticible hum into the audio.

Back