daisy chain switches and poe help

extrafuzzyllama

Limp Gawd
Hi all I have a 2 switches and wanted to now if i can daisy chain them but would I be able to use poe on the second switch by connecting it to the first switch?

My switches are HP procurve 1810g 8 port switch
It say they support poe but can't find info if i can power the second switch over poe by connecting to first switch poe port.

And when daisy chaining are there any settings I should change on the switches to work properly?

my guess would be no, you cannot power the entire switch by PoE. It doesnt put out that much power. to daisy chain them, I believe you can just use a crossover cable.

Assuming one of the switches is a POE switch the second one can be powered by it. With that said I do not believe the 1810G can provide POE, only receive it.

You may want to look into a power injector. That provide u with the Poe sendin unit. You r going to have to do a lil research to find out what voltage the 1810g wants, but I see the power injectors on eBay for ~$20 all the time.

PoE means power over the ports, that is it, to device that support PoE.

So no, the other switch wont work as a PoE switch in that it wont send out power over the ports.

Also, i doubt connecting a PoE switch to a regular switch is enough to power the entire switch...

will try this at work, but i doubt it works like that

The 8-port 1810G is a PoE consumer only; it cannot supply or pass power to consumer devices. A straight-thru patch cable is sufficent to link the switches. Smaller Linksys switches are capable of being powered by PoE or wall wart as well.
All that said, unless you have PoE suppliers around, using the wall warts will be cheaper.

Back