• A Great friend to the HardForum with a great kid that he is trying to get a scholorship to continue his schooling. Please give hime a vote! Only 24 hours left! Thanks.
    If you have an VOTE FOR KEENAN!

Daft Headphone Question

wasdqr

n00b
Joined
Jul 25, 2006
Messages
52
Hi there, this is mainly aimed at the audio enthusiasts with their Grado headphones and tube amps etc.

In my house there are a pair of expensive Beyerdynamic headphones and a pair of headphones I use with my PC which were about £3. I have used them both seperately on my PC just straight from the soundcard (which is a fairly good one).

The £3 headphones sound a lot better than the Beyerdynamic ones. What's that about?
 
What model beyerdynamic cans are those? Perhaps you prefer a different sound signature than the beyers provide..
 
PC is probably providing a poor quality signal.

Higher end equipment tends to make bad details and bad signal quality more exposed and "visible" than cheaper things.
 
Fryguy8 said:
PC is probably providing a poor quality signal.

Higher end equipment tends to make bad details and bad signal quality more exposed and "visible" than cheaper things.


That doesn't fly because crap in = crap out regardless of the price of the headphones. ;)
 
misterx, certainly, but some headphones are more sensitive to details and flaws than others. Usually higher end equipment is more "revealing".
 
Are you suggesting that sensitivity and price go hand in hand?
 
Mister X said:
Are you suggesting that sensitivity and price go hand in hand?

to a point, yes. Cheaper headphones cannot respond to the changes in sound as well as headphones that are designed to do so. Usually the slower/weaker response of the cheap headphones will mask audible defect while more expensive ones will try their best to reproduce everything sent to it.

But then you get to the point of diminishing returns where the more expensive headphone you can buy won't necessarily mean better performance than the next lower price points.
 
to a point, yes. Cheaper headphones cannot respond to the changes in sound as well as headphones that are designed to do so. Usually the slower/weaker response of the cheap headphones will mask audible defect while more expensive ones will try their best to reproduce everything sent to it.

Damit!
I spit beer all over my monitors when I read that.

Did you ever think the OP just like the cheaper cans better?
 
Mister X said:
Damit!
I spit beer all over my monitors when I read that.

Did you ever think the OP just like the cheaper cans better?

He's already stated he likes them better, so your statement is a moot point. I was responding to you directly.

And no, I'm not one of those people who will go out and buy a $150 set of headphones. I have a cheap $20 set here in front of me, and they sound great to me, for what I listen to. I have better things to spend my money on like an X6800 or three X1900XTX's
 
ryan_975 said:
And no, I'm not one of those people who will go out and buy a $150 set of headphones. I have a cheap $20 set here in front of me, and they sound great to me, for what I listen to. I have better things to spend my money on like an X6800 or three X1900XTX's


So you are telling me that you have no basis for any constructive input then?
 
Mister X said:
So you are telling me that you have no basis for any constructive input then?

no that's not what I was saying at all, come back later when you figure out that quality design and construction costs morey. A headphone set that cost 3 pounds (don't have that symbol) isn't going to have the sensitivity that a set that cost 50 or more.
 
ryan_975 said:
no that's not what I was saying at all, come back later when you figure out that quality design and construction costs morey. A headphone set that cost 3 pounds (don't have that symbol) isn't going to have the sensitivity that a set that cost 50 or more.


I am sitting right here with a pair of $14 Koss KSC 75s that shred my $320 HD650s when connected directly to the source (they have more visceral impact, better high frequency extension and the bass is not all muddy)
Want to try again?
 
Mister X said:
I am sitting right here with a pair of $14 Koss KSC 75s that shred my $320 HD650s when connected directly to the source (they have more visceral impact, better high frequency extension and the bass is not all muddy)
Want to try again?

no I made my point and I stick to it. If you bought a set of expensive headphones that turned out to be crappy, that's your problem.

And to reiterate, my point was "TO A POINT(certain extent)" quality goes hand in hand with sensitivity. I never said what that extent was did I?
 
ryan_975 said:
no I made my point and I stick to it. If you bought a set of expensive headphones that turned out to be crappy, that's your problem.
When I plug the same two headphones into an amp the senns shred the Koss so it is not so black and white. ;)


ryan_975 said:
And to reiterate, my point was "TO A POINT(certain extent)" quality goes hand in hand with sensitivity. I never said what that extent was did I?

Pft... exactly why I spit beer all over my monitors when I laughed my ass off at your first post.
Your point is absurd at best.
How can you hope to defend it?
 
He can't b/c he has no clue compared to you. My advice to anyone is to not argue with Mr. X about headphones. This is especially true since he makes very nice cutom headphone amps. Speaking of which you got some PM there Mr.X.
 
wasdqr said:
...I have used them both seperately on my PC just straight from the soundcard (which is a fairly good one).

The £3 headphones sound a lot better than the Beyerdynamic ones. What's that about?

No offense guys but I think we missed the point on this one. He says he is using both headphones straight out of the soundcard. Most of the good Beyer's are medium to high imp and need a headphone amp. I would expect you to say the don't sound as good as your cheap headphones given that set up.

Which sound card and how you have it set up would make a difference.
 
Back
Top