D-link DGL-4300 Not working

cinohpa

Limp Gawd
I have comcast internet, and an old dell wireless router. These are currently working.

I recently purchased a DGL-4300 and followed the basic instructions for installation. My computer recognizes the router, and recognizes that it has connection from it, but when I go to the internet it won't work.

I switched back to my dell router and it worked. Also, at first I was getting 1gb connection recognized with the DGL and then it dropped down to 100mbps the next time I looked at it.

Any help/suggestions? Do I need to talk to comcast?

no. I have it set up the same way I do on my old dell router which I'm currently connected to so that I can have internet to respond. I'm thinking it has something to do with comcast. I read they don't like people using routers and make it difficult.

Did you hit DHCP release on your old router? If not, you may not be able to get Internet on your new D-Link router until the old DHCP lease expires. It is also possible that the Comcast in your area links or ties your Internet service to the MAC address (i.e. of your previous router) that they have on file.

Reconnect your old router, login to it, find the Internet status page, and click DHCP release. Then disconnect the router and connect the D-Link.

If that doesn't work, keep the D-Link connected and call Comcast. Tell them that you just got a new computer and you need them to link the cable service to your new PC. If they ask tell you to disconnect the cable from the router and connect it directly to the PC, ignore them -- always keep it connected to the router -- and let them do their thing.

First, unplug and reboot the modem, then reboot the router after the modem is done. This may fix the problem.
If not:
1. Are you getting activity lights on the modem?
2. On the D-Link router Status page do you have addresses (numbers) populated in the WAN IP address, subnet mask, gateway and DNS servers? This will tell you if the router is "talking" to the modem and internet. If not try the DHCP release and renew buttons.
3. In the Basic page make sure WAN mode is DHCP on. On the DHCP tab make DHCP server is enabled.
4. On the Advanced page make sure that Access Control, Web Filter, MAC address filter are not enabled.

I tried what you guys said and it didn't work out. I'll call comcast tomorrow.

Did you just plug in your new router in and not follow the directions EXACTLY?

the router has setup tool that will auto detect most everything, i have the same one and it didnt work till i did a power cycle through all the devices also im using cat6 cable. maybe youre using cat5?

Do you have a specific reason for using cat6? The cable that came with the router was cat5.

You probably won't have much luck with Comcast. They will tell you plug the PC direct to the modem. I would reset the router and use the autodetect feature to set it up. Also, try resetting the modem. It should have a small button on the back.

One more thing: maybe it is your PC. Is TCP/IP enabled for the ethernet device? Under TCP/IP Properties for that device is it set to obtain an IP address and DNS automatically?
Are you running a firewall on that PC?

Reboot your cable modem. It could be it still has the MAC of your dell router stored and not the new MAC of the D-Link and won't give it an IP.

Okay guys, I finally got it to work, but I have no idea how. There really isn't any logical reason. Basically, I played with command prompt ipconfig /release and /renew while also playing with the router set up site. I think it was the stuff in command prompt that ended up working. Comcast wasn't helpful. I did call, and the guy just seemed really suspicious. I was scared. But it is working now! Thank you everyone.

I just bought one of these and am having the darndest time getting my PS3 to work with it. I've got 3 PC's, a Wii and a 360 all working fine but the PS3 is not. Kinda funny actually, I cannot test the network on the PS3 until I update the firmware, but can't connect to the Playstation network to get it. I would have tried downloading it from Playstation.com but my console says it wants 1.82 and all the website has is 1.81. Hmm, weird.
I have tried opening TCP:80,443,5223 and UDP:3478,3479,3658 per the PS3 manual and that did not work. I tried to put the PS3's IP into the DMZ, that did not work either.
The guys on the Playstation forums really aren't helpful at all, besides everyone here on the [H] I consider an expert. Any ideas I'd appreciate it.

I just bought one of these and am having the darndest time getting my PS3 to work with it. I've got 3 PC's, a Wii and a 360 all working fine but the PS3 is not. Kinda funny actually, I cannot test the network on the PS3 until I update the firmware, but can't connect to the Playstation network to get it. I would have tried downloading it from Playstation.com but my console says it wants 1.82 and all the website has is 1.81. Hmm, weird.
I have tried opening TCP:80,443,5223 and UDP:3478,3479,3658 per the PS3 manual and that did not work. I tried to put the PS3's IP into the DMZ, that did not work either.
The guys on the Playstation forums really aren't helpful at all, besides everyone here on the [H] I consider an expert. Any ideas I'd appreciate it.
First, the PS3 is able to connect or you would not receive the message to download 1.82, which was released last night.

You do not need to open any ports for the PS3 because it supports UPnP.

The problem might be Dynamic Fragmentation, which is a QoS feature meant to improve game latency on connections with low upstream (such as 256-384Kbps) while you are downloading and transferring files in the background. However, the Dynamic Fragmentation feature is not supported by some gaming consoles. Click Advanced ->Gamefuel and uncheck Dynamic Fragmentation. Then try the PS3 update again. I would also suggest you disable all ALGs listed under Advanced -> Firewall. After you do that, go into Settings - > Network on the PS3 and choose the option to detect network settings.

I've had Dynamic defrag disabled since I bought the router, If specifies that when you setup an XBOX360.

I ended up bypassing the router last night and lo and behold it worked, so I know that it is not my ISP or modem. ALG's, I assume those are the forwarded ports?

I'll try to play with it some more today, thank you so much for your help.

Well a bit of an update. Unknown to me my DSL modem (Speedstream 5200) has router capabilities. So opening ports on my DGL-4300 does nothing unless the DSL router is open as well.

I'm still having trouble though. I have set my DGL-4300 ip into the DMZ on the SS-5200 to open up all of the ports and use the DGL-4300 as my firewall. The PS3 still reports an NAT type 3.

There are some NAT and NAPT settings that require an ip address map. What is this? Right now only NAPT is enabled, NAT and NAPT combined require an ip address map. Is this the source of my problems?

Thanks in advance for you time.

Back