Cyberoam utm?

schnell

Gawd
It is nearing time to renew the subscriptions on my fortinet firewall and I am looking into upgrading the box to something better that supports clustering for failover as well as higher throughput and multi wan balancing. I do not want to build anything so no pfsense or untangle suggestions.

Has anyone used cyberoam firewalls before? The cr50 model seems to have the specs I am looking for. Suggestions on other appliances? I am not a big fan of sonic walls I have used them in past but have not used any of their newer products, same goes for watch guard. Was looking at a lower end juniper ssg box but the cyberoam is interesting.

You can buy units with untangle, you know that right? Untangle appliances or unrangle sells them

You can buy units with untangle, you know that right? Untangle appliances or unrangle sells them

Not interested in untangle.
It does not do active-active or active-standby failover nor multi-wan load balancing. It is a toy for home and very small business.

Never heard of Cyberoam but looking at them now. It is strange that I have never heard of them or tested them. Have you looked at Checkpoints UTM's? They will do what your looking for.

Checkpoints are clunky and expensive. Cisco ASAs are much easier to maintain and the latest software for them is dripping with cool new features.

I have clusters of both at work and the Checkpoints suck the life out of me. Plus their tech support is terribad.

Never heard of Cyberoam but looking at them now. It is strange that I have never heard of them or tested them. Have you looked at Checkpoints UTM's? They will do what your looking for.

Have not used checkpoint in a long time. I did look at them along with watchguard, juniper, sonicwall, and cisco asa and on a price vs features comparison I was not overly happy with them. cyberoam came out on top by a large majority so it begs the question are they as good as the paper says. Fortinet has not blown my socks off with their features or their support so I am looking elsewhere.

Show me active-active firewall fail-over and I still will not care. Untagle has no place in serious enterprise. I do not want Untagle, read my original post. Drink your coolaid elsewhere.

No need to be a d**kface about it, I was asking a legit question. Am I reading it wrong, to which you could answered a simple "yes."

seriously, wtf?

Anytime anyone asks about any firewall on this forum someone always brings up untangle. I stated in my original post that I do not want untangle. I am an enterprise I do not have time nor energy to "roll my own" firewall. I have to have 99.999% up time and cannot afford to have any outages that take even hours to fix. I need support contracts that cover hardware and software that I can only get from a real firewall company.

Yes you are correct, those are in fact real paid apps for untagle. I however need 24/7 support and advance replacement. Untangles pricing structure is also a joke for anyone over 50 users. I can buy 2 firewalls plus utm licenses and 24/7 support contracts with advance replacement for less than the untangle buisness plan for one firewall device and that only includes simple 8-5 support. Untangle has its place, just not in my environment.

I disagree with you regarding Untangle, but that's for another thread. I also think you could be nicer to someone who is trying to help you out. You come off as standoffish.

Anyway, I just looked at the pricing for Cyberoam equipment. At that price level you should heavily consider Cisco, Juniper, IronPort, or BlueCoat equipment. All four offer superior support options compared to Cyberoam.

You say you're in an enterprise environment so I'd look at enterprise equipment. Fortinet is geared towards businesses under 100 in my opinion. I deployed one of their devices and I wasn't impressed when I had to call their support department to address an issue. Fortinet's higher end products just don't compare to Cisco, Juniper, Ironport, or Bluecoat. You can't go wrong with any of those four.

I did not choose the fortinet It was here already but you hit the nail on the head, it just isn't quite there especially in the support. I am just trying to check a few other options than the big boys you listed (checked them out too) too make sure I don't miss out on a better value especially with budgets as tight as they are.

Ah yes...budgets! When you're dealing with enterprise equipment you quite often deal with "enterprise pricing" as well. Good luck with your search.

Back