• A Great friend to the HardForum with a great kid that he is trying to get a scholorship to continue his schooling. Please give hime a vote! Only 24 hours left! Thanks.
    If you have an VOTE FOR KEENAN!

Creative X-Fi In Windows 7

PolygonGTC

[H]ard|Gawd
Joined
Jan 6, 2006
Messages
1,791
Is anyone using a Creative Labs X-Fi in Win7 x64? I'm worried I'm going to have a problem. I guess it's just a matter of how well the Vista 64 drivers work.
 
Is anyone using a Creative Labs X-Fi in Win7 x64? I'm worried I'm going to have a problem. I guess it's just a matter of how well the Vista 64 drivers work.

I run two X-fi in different Win7 rigs, no problems for me, just downloaded their Win7 beta-driver and ran the auto updater afterwards and smooth saling.
 
I have crackling issues under various video card usage, but this seems to be a weird flaw with the nVidia drivers and my system. For example, when scrolling in Firefox maximized, my music will stutter like hell and things will chug. Odd thing is, it ONLY does this on a cold boot (if I restart right away once booted up, the issue is gone). I had the problem on Vista as well, but it only occurred on about 50% of boots. Windows 7 has it 100% of the time.
 
Wow, that's strange. Reminds me of my old Packard Bell. In DOS if I started any game there wouldn't be any sound effects until I restarted the game. It happened 100% of the time. If I booted into Win 3.11 and then went to DOS it worked fine.

Lucky for me I have an ATI card. Well, I have no excuse now I need to get Win7 installed on my main rig.
 
Just as long as there's something that works then I'm fine. I'm getting the system ready to install 7 right now.

Thanks everyone.
 
I have crackling issues under various video card usage, but this seems to be a weird flaw with the nVidia drivers and my system. For example, when scrolling in Firefox maximized, my music will stutter like hell and things will chug. Odd thing is, it ONLY does this on a cold boot (if I restart right away once booted up, the issue is gone). I had the problem on Vista as well, but it only occurred on about 50% of boots. Windows 7 has it 100% of the time.
Are you using a nForce motherboard? Is so, that is the reason, and is a very common problem. Other manufacturer motherboards have this issue too, but is less common.
 
I tried my Audigy 2 in Win 7 x64, I couldn't get any audio. This was using the Vista drivers though, I haven't tried using Windows Update by itself to see if it works. There's technically no Windows 7 drivers yet for Audigys, I think.

However, David_K created a SB, XFi, and some other AudigyZS/LE/etc card packs that work for XP, Vista and 7 32/64 bit (and it worked flawlessly with my Audigy 2 and Xtreme Music on XP, have yet to try on Win 7 yet).
 
Win7 x64 here, X-Fi works great. No issues. Then again, had no issues in either XP or Vista x64.

When I did the Vista x64 -> Win7RC in-place upgrade, it carried the drivers over. Worked. I still upgraded them with the latest Creative offering though.
 
I've got my x-fi xtreme gamer pro on Windows 7 but Stereo-Xpand cmss-3D hasn't worked on vista or windows 7. I have to use stereo-surround which in my opinion sucks more.
 
I just recently replaced x-fi gamer with x-fi titanium, small upgrade but I wanted optical inputs. Anyway, x-fi gamer worked fine with everything. titanium works great for music and movies but when I try to play a game the sound goes silent after a while usually, it's like the driver disables itself.
meaning after I quit a game even music won't play and I don't mean like it's muted, windows player, winamp will open but it won't play files nor even stream from the net, like there's no support in the system to play sound. Like I said it only happens after I play the game, when I reboot everything is fine until I try to play a game again, any game. Any ideas what that might be?
 
does anyone know the steps that i can use to get the x-fi platinum to actually output 5.1 audio? even when its doing the audio output test, it only does it in 2 channel. (and i'm connected through a spdif)
 
does anyone know the steps that i can use to get the x-fi platinum to actually output 5.1 audio? even when its doing the audio output test, it only does it in 2 channel. (and i'm connected through a spdif)
You have one of the older models, the Platinum doesn't support DDL or DTS Connect. What does that mean? You are screwed!

Only way to get 5.1 is using analog. If you are connecting it to computer speakers, like the Logitech Z-5500, then the included 3.5mm cables should be fine.
But if you are connected to a receiver, things are more complicated. Does your receiver have multi-channel analog? If not, then you are screwed again. But If it does, you are going to need the special cable with RCA connectors for X-Fi cards. Link Here.
Unfortunately they are Out Of Stock now, so you have to buy them elsewhere. This are 2 possible places, but just know that I have never done business with them. eCost or Computers4Sure. If I were you, I'd go for eCost, even if it's a little more expensive. Because they accept PayPal, and because they have their phone number on display. But hey, that's a decision for you to make. You might even wait for Creative, and buy directly from them.

Good luck.
 
does anyone know the steps that i can use to get the x-fi platinum to actually output 5.1 audio? even when its doing the audio output test, it only does it in 2 channel. (and i'm connected through a spdif)

Install proper drivers, Works perfectly for me in WIN 7 on my XiFi Titanium Plat Pro.
 
Install proper drivers, Works perfectly for me in WIN 7 on my XiFi Titanium Plat Pro.
He has the Platinum, not the Titanium. The old X-Fi models don't have all the features than the new ones like yours have. I already posted a response with the solution, now is up to him.
 
Back
Top