"crazy" fan idea?

Santasballz

Limp Gawd
I got a lian li (pluses) case.
basically, i've got 1 120mm intake fan in the front, 120mm outtake fan at the back, neopower powersupply's 120mm fan(outtake) and a 80mm top outtake fan.

i was thinking of turning the back 120mm outttake fan around so it becomes an intake fan (with dust filtering ofcourse). This way, i'll be able to get cool air to the cpu and video card directly. the hot air will raise up and be expelled by neopower's fan and the top 80mm exhaust fan. this method will also make the air pressure in the case positive, which helps to reduce dust.

would this actually work? or would i be better off leaving stuff on default.

what model? i would need to see the layout of the case since i can't really visualize. I don't think it would be a good idea to run bulk of the heat out through the psu and pushing air in from both sides hurts the "jet stream" effect of air flowing through the case.

i thought about that, but the pc-7 has a class side panel, is it still possible to drill holes?

also, is there a guide or something to teach u how to create fan holes and space to mount the fans?

HMMM.

you have the rear fan blowing in and the Front fan blowin in. then you got the antec and the exaust blowing out.

I dont know how well that would work but the idea sounds interesting. Why don't you try it and make a log of the temps. I'd like to see this

well to tell the truth...i aint gonna get the case in awhile lol...so i was just wondering right now =P

The only problem that I can see with making the rear 120mm fan an intake fans is the fact that the PSU is so close to it. This being said the PSU exhausts hot air out the back of the case through the PSU. The problem is that the 120mm fan is in such a close proximity to the PSU exhaust fan that it will suck the hot air that the PSU is exhausting back into the case and may or may not lead to an increase in case + CPU temps. So in my opinion it would be a better layout to have the rear 120mm fan as an exhaust to help pull cool air in from the from of the case, and have it pass the CPU and exhaust out the back of the case. Just my 2 cents :D

I tried something like that today. I have a Lian-Li pc-65B. It has two 80mm fan intakes in the front, 80mm out in the back and top. I just installed an xp-120 and mounted a 120mm fan on it. I tried switching the back 80mm to an intake so it would push air from the outside right over the 120mm to push on the cpu. It really did not change temps that much at all. I think I might just drill some holes and mount a 120mm directly in the side panel above the the heatsink.

if it didn't change much, i guess it would still be good because you're creating a positive air pressure inside? I was a little worried that swtiching the fan around might actually increase the temperature

I'd be all over this case, but the 3 drive hard drive cage sucks. Wonder if I could get my 5 drive cage from my PC-65B to fit?

Santasballz said:
if it didn't change much, i guess it would still be good because you're creating a positive air pressure inside? I was a little worried that swtiching the fan around might actually increase the temperature
This whole 'negative/positive'-airpressure thing basically amounts to an urban myth. Those puny case fans are not strong enough to pressurize the air inside a computer case to any significant extent.

What is important with cooling a (computer) system is airflow patterns; eliminating dead air pockets and overly turbulent areas, so that the air entering the case leaves it as quickly as possible, while having cooled all components inside.

Back