I've seen videos of the other AMD heatsinks but this one is nothing like them. For example, the lever that one rotates to get the retention piece into place is UNDER the retention piece. I guess I installed the heatsink but I wanted to move that lever because I thought it was so important. Now, I tried removing it by using a screw driver and putting the screw driver in that one part where one kinda pushes out to remove the heatsink but it kinda broke off.
I am pisssed. I'm afraid for the processor down there.
The retention lever should be snug underneath a piece of plastic on the retention bracket. The lever has an L shape that fits right under a protruding piece of plastic on the retention bracket. You should be able to get that off with just a bit of force.
If the thermal pad is making the CPU stick to the heatsink base, try using a blow-dryer to heat the heatsink. The heat will soften up the thermal pad, and should make things a little easier for you. All those videos are for Socket A... not Socket 939 installations. They're a little outdated.
AMD told me that they have some different heatsinks for each processor (you can have two boxes with an AMD 64 X2 3800+ in them but with different heatsinks). They also told me that there is a type of heatsink that has caused trouble in the past so they are sending me a new easy to install and remove one.
I still need to get this thing off though. All they want is the sticker and I can keep the old heatsink. I guess I'm going to have to hack through it.