CPU Upgrade on AM3 mobo

chockomonkey

[H]F Junkie
2FA
Joined
Oct 11, 2003
Messages
8,461
The build is in my sig.. playing Skyrim again, i'm really feeling the bottleneck from my CPU, especially while trying to run mods like Warzones.

I'm assuming that the new Bulldozer (AM3+) architecture won't work in the AM3 socket on my mobo...

So that leaves a the Phenom II X4, correct?

$109 at newegg isn't too bad... anyone know a better price somewhere? (I live in Tacoma, WA--so no Microcenter around here.)
 
You are correct, Bulldozer will not work on AM3. Need to be AM3+.

That CPU will work on your motherboard, but you probably wont really notice that much of a difference in games.

Can you budget be higher than $100 for a CPU/Motherboard combo depending on what RAM you have we should be able to re use it.
 
You are correct, Bulldozer will not work on AM3. Need to be AM3+.

That CPU will work on your motherboard, but you probably wont really notice that much of a difference in games.

Can you budget be higher than $100 for a CPU/Motherboard combo depending on what RAM you have we should be able to re use it.

Oh really... I thought phenom vs athlon alone would net a decent improvement, even if they were the same speed. Since that's not the case i guess i'll just get a better cooler and try overclocking for a little extra juice. It'll save me money too, i suppose.

Thanks for the heads up, Skillz.
 
Well not entirely what I meant.

There will be a performance increase going from an Athlon X4 to a Phenom X4, however I do not think it's worth the $100 you'll pay for the performance you'll gain.
 
Thanks for the clarification. I do believe i'll just wait a bit longer before buying parts, and tide myself over with an attempt at ocing

Because as you well know, once i start looking at Mobo+bulldozer upgrade, well, then it sounds like a good idea to buy new ram, and while i'm at it i should upgrade my video card too lol

before i know it, i've just built a new computer...
 
Don't worry, our recommendations wouldn't lead you down the Bulldozer path. ;)
 
Back
Top