CPU stays at maximum frequency

TrevorR

Gawd
I've got an i7-8086k. For the past year or so I've ran it at stock settings. Today, I decided to try and see if I could get the processor to overclock to 5.1 or 5.2. Well I tried 5.1ghz and the system crashed twice and I had set the voltage to 1.375.

After crashing the second time I gave up.... Here's the issue I'm having after attempting the failed OC. The CPU is "stuck" at 5.0ghz. It will not reduce frequency. My temperatures are hovering at 55-60 degrees Celsius even as I type this and has done so consistently for the past 4 hours (4 hours ago is when I attempted the OC). The first thing I did was check power settings. Its at balanced like it has been for the past year.

I also cleared CMOS, reset BIOS and loaded optimized defaults. Even at defaults, its stuck at 5.0 GHZ and temperatures are 50-60 degrees.

I even took off the CPU cooler and re-seated the CPU itself and put on new paste, cleared CMOS, loaded optimized defaults and still its stuck at 5.0GHZ and hovering at 50-60 degrees. I left the PC alone for about 30 minutes with nothing running and its stuck at 5.0GHZ and is hot.

I know for a fact that it was not doing this before my failed OC. I have Core Temp and Frequency displayed in task bar at all times. It's never displayed this behavior. its always gone down to 1.0ghz and hovers around 30 degrees celsius but after my failed experiment. Its stuck.

Did I fry my CPU or does anyone have any suggestions?

Oh and intel speedstep is enabled.

I've got an i7-8086k. For the past year or so I've ran it at stock settings. Today, I decided to try and see if I could get the processor to overclock to 5.1 or 5.2. Well I tried 5.1ghz and the system crashed twice and I had set the voltage to 1.375.

After crashing the second time I gave up.... Here's the issue I'm having after attempting the failed OC. The CPU is "stuck" at 5.0ghz. It will not reduce frequency. My temperatures are hovering at 55-60 degrees Celsius even as I type this and has done so consistently for the past 4 hours (4 hours ago is when I attempted the OC). The first thing I did was check power settings. Its at balanced like it has been for the past year.

I also cleared CMOS, reset BIOS and loaded optimized defaults. Even at defaults, its stuck at 5.0 GHZ and temperatures are 50-60 degrees.

I even took off the CPU cooler and re-seated the CPU itself and put on new paste, cleared CMOS, loaded optimized defaults and still its stuck at 5.0GHZ and hovering at 50-60 degrees. I left the PC alone for about 30 minutes with nothing running and its stuck at 5.0GHZ and is hot.

I know for a fact that it was not doing this before my failed OC. I have Core Temp and Frequency displayed in task bar at all times. It's never displayed this behavior. its always gone down to 1.0ghz and hovers around 30 degrees celsius but after my failed experiment. Its stuck.

Sounds like some kind of windows software corruption from the crashes.....I figure unlikely any hardware damage from just that.

Can you manually change the the cpu speed? I would try dropping it to 4.8 save and exit. Boot back into windows. If it changed go back into bios and try loading optimized defaults again.
If that doesnt work, does your mb have dual bios? If so try loading the secondary bios.

Can you manually change the the cpu speed? I would try dropping it to 4.8 save and exit. Boot back into windows. If it changed go back into bios and try loading optimized defaults again.
If that doesnt work, does your mb have dual bios? If so try loading the secondary bios.

Yep tried that. Even tried downclocking to 3.0. Nope still stuck at 5.0 GHZ

did you check you windows power settings ?

As I stated in my OP, that was the first thing I checked. It's at balanced.

You can also download intels XTU utility it allows you to change some basic stuff from within windows https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/24075/Intel-Extreme-Tuning-Utility-Intel-XTU-

Hmm. Doing this now. Will report back.

As I stated in my OP, that was the first thing I checked. It's at balanced.

But did you check Was balanced is set up as ?
Balanced is just a profile. under advaned setting you can see you min/max cpu speed to use

Did you try changing and saving the power settings in Windows, and then changing / saving back to balanced? That might be what's stuck.

for shiggles i would run sfc /scannow just to cover basic windows corruption
Reinstall cipset drivers

xmp profile oc can do that when it is active. and it would stay at max oc ++ i know i got settings for bus multiplier and i tried it out.

If your BIOS were reset, then either:
1) C-states are disabled.
2) Multi-core enhancement may be auto or enabled.

Manually disable MCE then enable c-states and speedshift/speedstep then your CPU will work as expected.

If your BIOS were reset, then either:
1) C-states are disabled.
2) Multi-core enhancement may be auto or enabled.

Manually disable MCE then enable c-states and speedshift/speedstep then your CPU will work as expected.

So today, I ended up updating the bios to a new version and it still did the same stuck at 5.0ghz thing.

Until I tried your suggestion. I disabled multicore enhancement and enabled C-states and boom, when system isn't in use it goes back down to 0.8 ghz and temps at 30 degrees.

The thing is that multicore enhancement was always set to auto and so was c-state. Why I have to change these settings all of a sudden is fricking... Weird.....

This is why I love [H]ardforum because of members like you, thanks!!!!!!

Back