"CPU fan failed" say the POST reporter.

pbXassassinX1524

[H]ard|Gawd
okay, I have the stock P4 cooler that comes in the retail box, and since I built the system I didn't have the ASUS "q-fan" technology turned on.

So I went into the BIOS, turned it on and left it at the default setting.

When I reboot the ASUS reporter voise says "CPU fan failed" I don't get it, does the stock P4 CPU not support something that I'm not aware of or what. Why would they make a feature that the mobo picks up as an error?

I didn't know there was any other place you could plug it in. It's been working fine for 2 weeks now, just that I didn't have the q-fan enabled.

Also, I'm running prime95 right now and I have been watching the ASUS monitor at the same time. The fan is running at like 1670 RPM (used to run at like 2460) And the highest temp I've had so far on the proc was 47C... so I don't see any problems.

Its quite possible that the default Q-Fan settings are to high for the initial fan rpm and temp readings, so it gives you a warning. I'd check what the default low warning levels are and adjust them lower and see if this cures it. I take it once the rig is warmed up you don't get anymore warning messages.

Regards, Szandor

well, it only says it once when I reboot, warm or not. (sorry if I misunderstood what you meant)

I can hear the fan start off at the stock speed and then slow down in steps as the system gets through the 1st few seconds of power on. then it seems to stay at those settings once it lowers to whatever RPM it goes to in the beginning.

this is a known problem with asus sis boards. (At least for me) if you into bios and ignore the cpu fan speed it with not say this. it says it because it thinks the fan has failed if it spins below a certain speed. since q-fan limits the speed, it is neccesary to ignore the low speed. hows the board running for you?

well the performance has been fantastic. But thats what I was thinking, the fact that it sees the fan spinning slower and thinks its bad. So where is the setting to ignore fan speed?

the only other qwerky thing (might or might not be the mobo/SiS) is that for some reason I don't have any control over the AGP settings in the nvidia control panle. Which I need to get into to be able to disable fast AGP writes, so I can play CoD:( Still working on that.

BTW, did you update to the newer BIOS that ASUS has? (I didn't)

EDIT: found the setting, set it to ignore the fan speed. All is good now, thanks guys.

what new bios? my board came with the 1002 bios, thats the latest on asus.com.

really... I bought mine on the 9th (about) and I have the .99 BIOS.

Either way the only difference they say thats in the update is recognision of faster procs or something like that.

Back