Couple windows Vista RC1 quistions and comments!

Diablo2K

Supreme [H]ardness
I have RC1 x64 installed on a spare Harddrive so that I dont lose my working copy of Windows XP. I only have one piece of hardware that I cant find drivers for, MSI US54SE USB Wireless adapter, however I do have a USB wireless adapter/hotspot detector (linksys TEW-429UB) I can use in its place.
I have a Valid key I got when they came out with Beta 2 I think it was that works fine with SP1, I was wondering if it will work with RC2 as well and where can I get RC2? seems MS only has links for RC1
I am really hoping to get Vista when it comes out as despite the bugs I really like the look and feel of it, I realise most problems I am having are due to Beta Drivers and lack of third party support which will be better once Vista goes public. I am running the Ultimate version now and was wondering if anyone had a link to what the differances will be between the differant versions and if there are any prices for Retail ans OEM versions as well.

One last quistion, I know hardocp.com has RSS feeds, is there a way to get the feed from hardpcp to show up in the RSS newsfeed widget, I cant figure out how to really configure them or what the actual address I will need to input once I do figure out how to configure the widget.

RC2 was only available for a short period of time. As of now, they only public release left to obtain is RC1. As far as the differences in versions, Microsoft should have a chart up on it's Vista page showing the differences.

Sucks about the RC2.
Another quistion has come up after useing it for a couple days. Is there a way to get the menu to act like the menu on XP, when I click Programs it does not open a new menu, it changes the one in the lower left of the menu and it is harder to find things that way. I probably could get use to it but would like to know incase I cant.

Hrm, you can switch to Classic Start Menu (aka Win2k) but you can't get the XP style menu.

I like this new style because of the scroll bar and how you can use the mouse wheel. It's also very nice that the folder group you have opened STAYS open until you close the Start Menu. I've lost track of how many times my mouse moved off the item I wanted and the whole shebang closes on me.

Besides, use the keyboard Luke. When I want to start a program, say Remote Desktop Connection, I press Windows=>"rem"=>[enter]

It's so nice to have a fully keyboard driven Start Menu now.

Another quistion, I have Vista installed on an older PATA HD, I have XP installed on a newer SATA hard drive. Is there an easy way to dual boot useing these 2 drives? I have been swapping out one drive for another to switch back and forth.

djnes said:
RC2 was only available for a short period of time. As of now, they only public release left to obtain is RC1. As far as the differences in versions, Microsoft should have a chart up on it's Vista page showing the differences.
http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1114032 Right in this forum guys :D

Diablo2K said:
Another quistion, I have Vista installed on an older PATA HD, I have XP installed on a newer SATA hard drive. Is there an easy way to dual boot useing these 2 drives? I have been swapping out one drive for another to switch back and forth.
Bettor off to keep doing what you are doing Vista likes to be first in a dual boot and screws up the boot files most of the time. so your copy of XP gets screwed up. Doing it your way theres NO chance of your copy of XP getting screwed up. Better safe than sorry later.

There was a real neat one on the newegg webcast, but I had no way to capture. I am sure there will be others poping up soon.

Now all I want is to know how much the differant versions are going to cost, I would really like to get Ultimate, from what I was looking at on the diagram of differances it looks like Ultimate does not need to be activated, but I could be misreading it.

Windows Activation Services = NO

If thats what I think it is then that will make it worth it just for that!

I just hope that sense they still have Theme Support they come out with more then 3 themes without having to buy third party software or hack the OS to use others. That never made sense to me why they did that!

Diablo2K said:
Now all I want is to know how much the differant versions are going to cost, I would really like to get Ultimate, from what I was looking at on the diagram of differances it looks like Ultimate does not need to be activated, but I could be misreading it.

If thats what I think it is then that will make it worth it just for that!

I just hope that sense they still have Theme Support they come out with more then 3 themes without having to buy third party software or hack the OS to use others. That never made sense to me why they did that!

IMHO, it may be a mistake and should be the other way. Corporate versions and ultimate could be activated by their own activation servers for volume licensing instead of relying on MS servers. I guess the custom server will be linked to the ms server and queue requests...

Back