Cost/Performance comparison P4/AMD

turmelle

[H]ard|Gawd
I was running through some calculations today, basically looking for the sweet spot (again) in folding computers. Comparing a P4 2.4C vs a AMD Barton 2500 vs an XP1700, based on the average results I've been getting with my own systems.

Intel 2.4C @ 2.8Ghz
100 PPD
700 PPW
36400 PPY
$359 Base cost + Electricity
500000 Desired Production for the Year
14 Number of Systems to make that production
$5026 Cost for One Year
$6034 Cost for Two Years

Barton 2500 @ 2.2Ghz
85 PPD
595 PPW
30940 PPY
$282 Base cost + Electricity
17 Number of Systems to make that production
$4794 Cost for One Year
$6018 Cost for Two Years

XP1700 @ 2Ghz
70 PPD
490 PPW
25480 PPY
$232 Base cost + Electricity
20 Number of Systems to make that production
$4840Cost for One Year
$6280 Cost for Two Years

Cost based on average of $6/mo electricity. (might be a bit conservative depending on where you live)
P4 2.4c Retail $167
Barton 2500 retail $90
XP1700 $50
MB $40
Ram $40
Case+old HD $40

Even with a large CPU cost difference, a minor impovement in PPD can make up for it. The electricity ends up evening out the cost for you. Not to mention less work/space/heat. Something to consider.

Great topic for a thread.

BTW, is the P4 2.4C running 2 instances for HT? If no, your results may not represent the full capabilities of the P4 architecture. Also, I got my 2.4C running at 3GHz with no effort when I recently changed motherboard (Asus P4P800). I figure I could probably (fingers crossed) achieve 3.2GHz with stock voltage, maybe more with a small increase. The two instances I set up recently completed 2 tinker WUs in 2 days at 3GHz.

So the Intels have really closed the gap on the AMD procs?

FOLD ON!!!

Only with Gromacs units. If that P4 gets a Tinker unit all bets are off and it's speed/ability go way down. Of course the P4s don't experience SSE locks either. Also remember an A64 @ 2000mhz is like a Barton running @ 2300mhz. So an A64 3000+ might be a consideration for single CPU boxes or remember the Dual Athlons as well. You can get Dual AthMP 2400s for about the cost of a A64 3000+ or 2.8C P4. Plus with a Dual box you get savings in energy costs, yet two CPUs cranking out units.

Good start for a thread -
Other factors to consider:
SWMBO
Space
Maintenance

Also - my constant question -
If a person is setting up a folding farm because they are addicted - is it worth it ?

I want a faster CPU so I can do some GIS, the machine will HAVE to run 2 to 4 hours per day for my use at the most. The extra cost to fold 24/7 is $5/month.

Would it be better for SCIENCE if I cut Vj a $60 check each year ?
or in your example - a check for $3K ?

I believe in the science and think that BwP (borg with permission) is the best way to go.

Originally posted by CIWS
Only with Gromacs units. If that P4 gets a Tinker unit all bets are off and it's speed/ability go way down. Of course the P4s don't experience SSE locks either. Also remember an A64 @ 2000mhz is like a Barton running @ 2300mhz. So an A64 3000+ might be a consideration for single CPU boxes or remember the Dual Athlons as well. You can get Dual AthMP 2400s for about the cost of a A64 3000+ or 2.8C P4. Plus with a Dual box you get savings in energy costs, yet two CPUs cranking out units.

Or save some more money and get dual 1700+xp and mod those babies to 2400mp ;)

FOLD ON!!!

Turmelle what brand and model of motherboards were you figuring on? I'm assuming you're looking for a motherboard that is cheap, overclockable, and monitor out. Do you have a list of ones that you have found worthy. I want to plop 200-300 dollars down for folding and I'm looking for worthy motherboards. Do you run dual channel or single channel ram on your boxes?

Originally posted by gnewbury
Good start for a thread -
Other factors to consider:
SWMBO
Space
Maintenance

If a person is setting up a folding farm because they are addicted - is it worth it ?

I want a faster CPU so I can do some GIS, the machine will HAVE to run 2 to 4 hours per day for my use at the most. The extra cost to fold 24/7 is $5/month.

I believe in the science and think that BwP (borg with permission) is the best way to go.

My thoughts exactly.

Originally posted by MN Scout
Turmelle what brand and model of motherboards were you figuring on? I'm assuming you're looking for a motherboard that is cheap, overclockable, and monitor out. Do you have a list of ones that you have found worthy. I want to plop 200-300 dollars down for folding and I'm looking for worthy motherboards. Do you run dual channel or single channel ram on your boxes?

Definitely was looking on the cheap side, sub $50 range with some overclocking capability. Single channel DDR or SDRAM even. I picked up an ASRock M266 all-in-one board for $37 that can bring a 2.4c to 2.8 with little trouble. I figured that was reasonable without getting into more advanced overclocking. To get much higher you'll need more expensive RAM, better cooling, a MB with vcore/vmem adjustments. In the past I didn't think it was worth it, but if just a 15PPD gain can justify a $77 more expensive CPU then it might. Unfortunately I don't have numbers for higher end systems. Like a P4 @ 1Ghz FSB.

It would be good to start looking longer term. Add 1 year of electricity into the cost and figure what it'll do. Although if you start adding 400Mhz RAM and clocking at 3/3.2Ghz the electicity will go up some.

Guess we need a cost/PPY rating.

I was really interested in the cheap AMD boards with overclocking options. What speed Ram do you buy for your systems? 3200, or lower? I guess I'll do some searching.

I broke 10,000 the other day. I'm currently at position 366 with 10722pts Yay.

When I buy RAM I generally buy only 3200 or faster. For a 256MB stick it is usually only $3-5 more for 3200 instead of 2100.

Right now on Newegg, Corsair ValueSelect 256MB sticks:
2100 - $41
3200 - $42

About the only thing you have to watch for though is that some of the really low end brands (Buffalo, Dane, etc.) sell 3200 with CAS latency of 3. I have come across a few newer motherboards who run a maximum CAS latency of 2.5, but since I generally stick with Corsair or Kingston this hasn't been a problem for me.

Brian Taylor

Originally posted by gnewbury

The term addicted/addiction is thrown around loosely here. If someone really was addicted as in detrimental to their health, happiness, career, then by all means NO. They should not be setting up a farm.

I don't think so, because if you took away all the home farmers the upper ranks would be rather thin. It drives competition. It drives Stanford to keep improving the client. It drives people to borg. If everyone with 2 computers that wanted to help more just gave them money then they'd have to buy time on a super computer. The visibility of the project would suffer. It would defeat the purpose of a distributed project.

I look at it like a charity. If you give $100 to a charity you really have no visibility into what's being done with your $100. If you buy 10 hot meals and give them to a homeless shelter you know exactly what your money is doing. I liken it to the 10 hot meals. If a better project comes along or they somehow stop producing results, I can take my hot meals to another shelter. :)

From extrapolating 2.8 scores to 3.2ghz scores that's 115PPD.

$79 Intel IS7-E Motherboard
$10 video card
Raise electric to $7/mo.

Intel 2.4C @ 3.2Ghz
115 PPD
805 PPW
41860 PPY
$431 Base cost + Electricity for a Year
12 Number of Systems to make that production
$5172 Cost for One Year
$6180 Cost for Two Years

Almost the same price and 2 fewer computers. Not bad!

Is there a reason for not going with the Abit IS10 @$69?
Onboard Vid/Sound/LAN/SATA and uATX.

If it O/Cs as well as other Abits I've had in the past....I'd say it has the potential for a good blade setup.

Perhaps my next project. After I get my last 3 A7N266/VMs in to this blade rack I built.

DAKemp
100000.gif
100000.gif

Originally posted by jkstang
Is there a reason for not going with the Abit IS10 @$69?
Onboard Vid/Sound/LAN/SATA and uATX.

Nope. Just saw that one in the OC forum as a cheap Intel Overclocker. $69 is even better. That would bring the prices down to;

4932 1 Yr
5940 2 Yr

Hmmm. so how much extra for a peltier solution that will let you hit 4ghz? :D

Originally posted by turmelle:

Nope. Just saw that one in the OC forum as a cheap Intel Overclocker.
Do you know if the board supports voltage adjustment?

Off-Topic but...
"can't feed em, don't breed em" ?!? oh my. I like it very much. my warmest welcome to the DC section of the forum...

Back