• A Great friend to the HardForum with a great kid that he is trying to get a scholorship to continue his schooling. Please give hime a vote! Only 24 hours left! Thanks.
    If you have an VOTE FOR KEENAN!

Corsair GS800 Issues

Joined
Sep 9, 2005
Messages
786
Has anyone ever seen this issue happen before?

My friend had me build her computer some months back. We picked a Corsair GS800 watt power supply. This was a rebuild of her old Core 2 Duo PC, which had a 500W PSU in it.

The specs are : 2550K @ 4.4GHz, 8GB, 2 HDD + 1 SSD, DVD-RW, GeForce 560Ti 448. Inside of an Antec 900 case, so 3 120MM fans and 1 200MM fan for the casing.

She called me over the other week because her computer just turned off in the middle of WoW, then it would turn on but she would get no video at all. After much troubleshooting, I found it to be the GS800 power supply as the culprit.

Now the odd thing is... these are single rail PSUs according to the labeling. Why is it that the PCI-E connectors stopped working but I can take two Molex to PCI-E adapters and it will work? She's been running it this way for two weeks now and hasn't had a single issue.

Has anyone else seen this? I feel I should RMA this... but still, kind of confused here. :confused:
 
You probably got unlucky with some bad soldering either on the PCB or some bad connectors.

Also, that system only needs a good 500 watt power supply.
 
I figured that on the wattage, but she was considering the possibility of down the road adding another GPU, so I wanted to leave lots of headroom.

It seems weird though that it would suddenly go up like that. o.o
 
Back
Top