Corrupted Downloads

Sneaky

n00b
Hello everyone,

not sure if this is the right forum to ask this, but..

I recently started having issues with files I download. They somehow end up being corrupted.

I use Opera for normal browsing/downloading, but I tried downloading the files with IE7, too (direct HTTP download). I checked the files that won't work corrently and sure enough the MD5 checksum is different from what it should be.

I never had a problem like this, so what's the best way to go to find out what might be causing it?

Some nvidia networking software caused this issue a while ago, do this applies to you?

You may want to test your memory. Memtest86 works well for this. I've had this happen when a stick of memory went bad.

are you downloading to your main drive with the Windows install, or a secondary drive?

I had issues that turned out to be the secondary RAID IDE controller crapping out.

Alright, sorry for the delay on responding on your suggestions.

Memtest86 forced the PC to reboot whem I tried to run it and I was able to figure out that my two 2GB sticks were causing it.

I ordered a new pair, hoping to solve the issue, but the problem persists - the PC reboots during the 1st memtest-test.

It works fine when I put 2x1GB into the PC.

Mainboard issue?

what kinda setup?
dual-channel ddr2?
try running them in different channels.
doubtful a common issue, but a Dell OptiPlex 760 we got a while back, did not at all like running the memory in dual-channel. Replaced the motherboard and life was good.

edit: oh, and memtest86+ is generally recommended over the memtest86, and also udpated more often. http://www.memtest.org/

Yea dual-channel DDR2. When I put the sticks in by themselfs Memtest86 works fine without errors.

Ah sigh, guess I gota see about the guarantee on the Mainboard.

Back