• A Great friend to the HardForum with a great kid that he is trying to get a scholorship to continue his schooling. Please give hime a vote! Only 24 hours left! Thanks.
    If you have an VOTE FOR KEENAN!

Correct way...

Toireht

Weaksauce
Joined
Oct 23, 2005
Messages
98
I know this is quite n00bish but my new sound card comes in monday and I want to make sure installation goes smoothly. I ordered a Audigy 2 ZS Platinum to replace my on board sound. Last time I tried to install a creative soundcard it caused BSOD and then my sound drivers were all messed up and almost had to reformat. So what I am asking is, what is every step I should take to get every driver for my orginal sound card off the computer and have this one install with ease? It probaly isn't that hard but I hear a lot of horror stories with creative drivers so I want to be sure.

On board sound is a Sound Blaster Live! 24-bit

edit: Also I just upgrade my speakers, I had a z-2300, now I have a z-5300 with the 2 rear speakers replaced with 2 bose speakers. But now all my games feel...hollow. I dont know if its because I'm not use to surround sound, the speakers, or the onboard sound.
 
switch off your computer. plug the sound card in one of the free PCI slots of ur mother board. switch it on, go to BIOS and disable the onboard audio. hopefully windows will show the card in the new hardware found wizerd. just to be in the safe side, you can go to Creative's site and downlaod the latest driver for your sound card. http://us.creative.com/support/downloads/, install the driver and enjoy your new sound card. :)
 
The problem here is that his onboard audio is a Creative chip.

In theory, you shouldn't have to disable anything or remove any drivers, as Windows generally doesn't have a problem with mulitple audio devices.

However, in your case, I would disable the onboard audio (I'm assuming you don't have a need for it). Get the program Driver Cleaner and the newest version of the Creative drivers (they released some new ones fairly recently I believe). Then uninstall the current drivers, reboot into Safe Mode and run Driver Cleaner. Then physically install the X-Fi, followed by the newest driver for it. Depending on if its a full fledged driver or just an upgrade, install whatever else off of the included CD that you want.
 
Back
Top