• A Great friend to the HardForum with a great kid that he is trying to get a scholorship to continue his schooling. Please give hime a vote! Only 24 hours left! Thanks.
    If you have an VOTE FOR KEENAN!

Core I5-750 Build Problems (Memory or CPU issue) - Looking for help!

Syran

Gawd
Joined
Apr 26, 2007
Messages
683
I am having an unusual problem, and i'm leaning towards it being the processor that is the problem.

I built up a I5 750 System with a Gigabyte GA-P55M-UD2, and 4GB of Ram; I knew of the memory issues with it, and purchased 4GB of G.Skill Memory (F3-10666CL8D-4GBHK) listed on the compatibility list. The computer posted a couple of times, but only showed 2GB of memory used out of the 4GB installed, which is what most people were complaining about. I tried other memories, only to have the computer stop posting completely; it would only turn on, then turn off about 5 seconds later, and keep repeating itself.

I decided to replace the motherboard, and wanted to do it quickly; so I bought an Intel DP55WB, and installed the memory. Immediately got 3 beeps from the bios, which said memory error. At this point, I tried multiple sticks of memory, and multiple slots on the motherboard. This is what I've found:

Channel A Slot 0 - No Beeps
Channel A Slot 1 - No Beeps when memory is ALSO slotted in Channel A Slot 0, will Beep 3 times if no memory in the Slot 0.
Channel B Slot 0 - Always 3 Beeps if memory is slotted in this slot.
Channel B Slot 1 - Always 3 Beeps if memory is slotted in this slot.

I have not tried switching the processor back to the Gigabyte board and see if I can replicate it. I have tried 10 different sticks of either 1 or 2 GB DDR3 memory from G.Skill, Crucial, Corsair, and some off brands that came from a Dell i7 machine. Everything works in A0, and as I populate in various ways, it fails as listed above.

So, I'm kinda thinking I might have a bad memory controller on the CPU. What do y'all think?
 
ahh, bios issues is one cause

a faulty cpu is the other, since the memory controller is on the chip.
 
I did a Bios update on the Gigabyte Board, haven't tried it on the Intel. Any ideas on if it could just be issues with the settings? Right now, i'm just running a video card, PSU, and the mobo/memory/cpu/cooler, and have the rest of the computer completely un-assembled.
 
k,

first off reset back to default the bios.

usually a minor volt tweak for ram will fix this issue, going up .1 or .2 volts should do the trick.

timings let the bios set these..

and only use 1 stick of ram.

an hdd and 1 vid and u should
 
2nd channel is still dead. I have updated the intel board to the newest Bios, I reset it to default, and tried .1 and .15 volt increases on the memory. Always booted with 1 or 2 sticks in Channel A (assuming I always had 1 stick in slot 0), and would never boot when there was a stick in any slot of Channel B.

I even tried reducing to a slower speed (1066) then the memory is rated (1333).
 
I've heard that sometimes problems with memory not being recognized is caused by the CPU not being fully seated. Given the problems with some of the socket 1156 boards, I'd pull the CPU and have a look at it very closely to see if all the pins in the socket are making contact.
 
Everyone is mentioning good tips / tricks. Also, as funny as it sounds.. Be sure that you are mounting your ram in the CORRECT slots (a quick read through on the installation instructions will confirm the correct slots for two sticks of dual channel memory). Since the problem has followed you even after switching motherboards, I would lean towards faulty ram. True enough that your memory controller is on your i5, I haven't heard of any "bad" batches of Core i5 processors. So, the likelihood of your i5 being the culprit is minimal at best.

Keep us posted on your progress.
 
I installed them in the correct slots, and have tried single sticks in every slot. According to the Manual, it should be slotted as such: Channel A Slot 0, Channel B Slot 0, Channel A Slot 1, Channel B Slot 1. That was how I first set it up.

To date, I have tried the following memory kits, in both the Gigabyte and Intel boards:
Corsair TW3X4G1333C9DHX
G.Skill F3-10666CL8D-4GBHK
Mushkin XP 4GB (2 x 2GB) DDR3
And some Generic Memory I pulled out of a Dell I7-920 Machine.

Also, only in the Gigabyte Motherboard, I tried:
Crucial CT2KIT25664BA1339

I ended up returning the Crucial since it did not work with the Gigabyte motherboard, and used their 100% compatibility guarantee to return it. This was the orginal set of memory purchased for the board.

I will try reseating the CPU; as I have not tried that, other then moving it between motherboards. I am not trying to oc this machine, I built it more as an easilly portable lan machine for when I visit my Fiancee; so we can play together, and not have to use my laptop.
 
Hmm, hopefully I don't have the same problems. I just bought that same motherboard. But I just got my ram today so I'll try it out tonight. CMD4GX3M2A1600C8 is what I bought. We'll see if it works tonight :(
 
Hello Syran!

I realise this thread is old, but I would like to know if you ever figured the issue out, and if so, could you please fill me in on what you found? I am having same issues,,, Thanks!!!
 
Back
Top