• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Core I3 530 OC help

SulSeeker

Gawd
Joined
Dec 16, 2002
Messages
574
I currently have a I3 530 running @ 3.76 (170x22) and it just BSOD'd on me sitting @ the desktop. I can't for the life of me figure out why I can get anywhere close to 4ghz these things are capable of

Using ASUS P7H55-M Motherboard

BCLK - 170
DRAM freq - 1360 (can go up or down, it's DDR 1333 tho)
QPI Freq - 4081 (seems WAY out of spec, but that's the lowest setting)

Core Voltage 1.25 (toms had theirs @ 1.3 vCore and 4.3ghz... WTF?!?!)
all other Voltage is stock
IMC 1.10
DRAM 1.50
CPU PLL 1.80
PCH 1.05

Loadline Calibration, CPU Spread Spectrum, and PCIE Spread Sprectrum - Disabled

Why am I pushing this little chip so hard? Sold a GTX460 768 and just got a HD 6950 in her rig (see the sig for everything else.) ^.^
 
Hey bro, first thing you want to do is update to the latest bios.

Then if the option becomes available you want to try and keep QPI at double your RAM speed. Not much higher.

Next bump your vcore to 1.3. My i3 on an H55m pro with newest bios and no external video card will do 191x22 @ 4.2ghz using 1.3 vcore and 1.23VTT. I could probably lower VTT to 1.17 but having gotten around to fine tuning it as it's rock solid stable and temps are fine so I just leave it for now.

200x22 with 1.4vcore and 1.23VTT will get me 4.4ghz.
 
Last edited:
Bump it up to 1.3vcore. See what that does for you. Should be enough for it to be stable at 4ghz. I don't remember what my i3 530 settings were (sold that many months ago), but my 550 would do 4ghz (167x24) on 1.28v.
 
Playing some more I'm getting

196x22 @ 4.3ghz
1.325 vcore
1.23vtt

DDR @ 1568 8,8,8,24,1t
QPI @ 3136
vdrop off
C1E on, spreadspec off
everything else default.

25 IBT runs stable.


Before updating the bios, unless I was using an external video card I wasn't able to get over 4.0ghz without tweaking up all the other voltages.
 
Last edited:
Ok, Updated the bios. Easy stuff.

I guess I should have explained I'm not running the onboard graphics. I do have the 6950 Installed already. If that clears up things.

So messing around with it more this morning... settings that are common currently.
All voltages @ default
CPU Multiplier x12
Load Line Calibration Enabled
Spread Spectrumm Speedstep, C1E Disabled

170x12 2040MHZ
DDR3 1020MHZ
QPI is 4081MHZ (lowest setting)
Boots to desktop and seems stable enough for gaming

175x12 2100MHZ
DDR3 1050MHZ
QPI 4201MHZ
Hard crash of the entire computer.

Thats the only thing I can see that's odd to me, and for the life of me I can't figure out how to get that lower. I'm sure if I can get the setting to DRAMx2 or even x3, I'd be fine and would see 4ghz easily.
Edit: Ok, the QPI settings in the BIOS are totally stupid, forget everything I said about it above, it's sitting at just over 3000MHz and doing fine.

EDIT 2: Figured out the max IMC voltage on this board is 1.2. It's a hard limit, can't go over it at all. So right now it's sitting @ 3.7GHz and has been running IBT for the past 3 hours without a BSOD. Anything over a 167 BCLK and it cold boots, resets the overclock, and spits an overclock failure error F1 to continue. Loosening Timings, lowering the memory multiplier, nor upping memory voltage/Cpu voltage doesn't do anything, I get the same issues.

Guess she's going to get Sandy Bridge as soon as motherboards are available again. :-/
 
Last edited:
Ahh! bummer. Yeah I was gonna say try my first setting below. They aren't leaving much room for ya there.

200x20
1.3vcore
1.3vtt
1600 memory
with the 4400 qpi

That was the first oc I was running on mine for a while when my board didn't have the option to change qpi. Also yes sorry to confuse, I just meant you using an external video is a benefit taking some stress off the chip.

Another thing that worked for me was

181*22 @ 3982
1.3vcore
1.17vtt
1.12pch
1.55vdimm

I don't know the max safe limit on the pch though where vcore and vtt is 1.4. But bumping gave me more breathing room previously.

3.7 is perfectly good though, it's a speedy little chip.
 
Last edited:
Back
Top