• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Core 3 temp issue

CompMage

Gawd
Joined
Sep 7, 2003
Messages
851
Question for the masses...

Core 2 (0, 1, 2, 3) temp is constantly above the other 3 by 2c. Is anyone else seeing this issue or do you think I should remount my water block. I am not seeing above average load on this core. I have shut it down via bios for temp testing to see if some unseen load might be transferred to the other cores but it was not. And after re-enabling it the temp was still constant with earlier results. I reverted the OC and am currently running at stock settings and speeds. Only other observation is at full load running ether games or folding (Run at 90% Load per core) temps closer to 52-55c (58c observed max) all the cores seem to level out a bit. (referring to games that can handle more than one core)

I am using MX-4 TIM. Rest of cooling setup is in the sig.

Temps reported via ASUS Probe II software, CPUID HWMonitor and "Core Temp". All 3 consistent.

Thanks for the help
 
No issues there, I've seen temp fluctuation on specific cores across the entire i3 - i7 line. Some chips show 2 to 3C difference on certain cores (at idle) while other identical model processors will show the same 2 to 3C temp difference on completely different cores.
 
i7 920 has a gap of 5C at idle and load. There is nothing of concern here :)
 
My 970 has a good size gap too. I see up to 5C difference, mostly at idle though. On load, its a little less, probably in the range of 2-3C.
 
Idleing my highest core is at 40c and my lowest is at 36c. Its normal. I belive it had something to do with the spreading of the TIM but im sure everycore is diffrent so ya know
 
The core temperature sensors that Intel uses are not accurate enough to determine if you did a good job of spreading your TIM or not.


2nd Generation Intel® Core™ Processor Family Mobile Datasheet – Volume 1

5.4.1.2.1Digital Thermal Sensor Accuracy (Taccuracy)

The error associated with DTS measurement will not exceed ±5 °C at Tj,max. The DTS measurement within the entire operating range will meet a ±5 °C accuracy.
 
I always have a hotter core. Its probably inefficiencies in the build quality of heatsink material, i.e. thickness, density is not even, etc.. or you do not have a super even coating of goop. Its almost impossible to get that goop perfect anyways.

Do not worry about it one bit. Now if you see a 10c difference then I would start to sweat that a little bit. Might want to remove, clean, and paste, and reseat the hsf.

Here I took this for you from AIDA 64 Extreme....

Watercooled 2600K with HT on, this is just showing the physical cores, and its idle at 1600mhz/full load at 4800mhz.
temps.JPG
 
Back
Top