Cooling my New Video Card

MrMashashin said:
OK change of plan! my mom and i are going to do some calling around tomarow becuase she has the day off. i found a different pc with a 4x agp and 40gig more hard drive for 41 bucks more! Unfortunatly we can only buy from wal-mart becuase any other store wont hold a computer or will accept payments. It's not bad for a 550$ pc. besides the fact that its a celeron :mad: But it's nothing i cant upgrade in the future!
Can you give us a link?

MrMashashin said:
this is the computer.
http://www.walmart.com/catalog/prod...ype=19&dept=3944&path=0:3944:3951:41937:41937
I know it's not the best but it's what i can afford. In the future i know i'm going to replace the processor. Also i have ram already to go into the computer.
Thats not too bad of a system. Looks pretty stylish too. The only negative is the SiS651 chipset, meaning you cannot upgrade to the new 800mhz fsb processors. It only supports up to 533mhz. You could slap a 3.06ghz processor, a 9800pro and 512mb more ram in there and have quite a nice system. If you upgrade the processor later, definately go for the 3.06ghz. It is the only one that has a 533mhz bus, and supports HyperThreading (almost like having 2 processors insted of one). IMO, you made a good decision. Good luck!

All you have to do is bump up the system ram and thrown in a decent video card and you're pretty much set for some Doom 3 gaming :)

That should do you okay. It has an AGP slot so you can upgrade the graphics card later if you choose (you should if you want to play Doom 3 without it looking quite literally like a slideshow).

that system looks okay, but other than a new video card I wouldn't put too much into it. There are too many good new technologies coming out like next spring or so to spend much on a computer right now. for example, pciE, socket 939 or 775, ddr2, bluray, etc, etc. so, unless you're looking to potentially waste a bunch of $, just get a 9800 and leave it at that. maybe more memory though.

guys he doesent have agp currently, and doesent have unlimited cash to spend on a computer, sounds like he would rather spend his money elsewhere. I wouldnt get a 9800pro unless im hell bent on doing some gaming, nor it is a necessity to get a 3ghz p4 or anything. You should be happy with that computer except for the celeron, take the mhz rating and divide it in half and thats about how fast it really performs

If you wanna play doom3 at semi decent settings you will need something above a celeron id think, but in the way of videocards, anything gf3 / radeon 8500 or better should suit you good, and those cards can be gotten for $50 or so if you look hard

*link to wallmart is b0rked atm so i cant comment on that*

DiZASTiX said:
Actually, if you have checked the minimum system requirments for doom3 recently released, a geforce 3 or ATI 8500 are the minimum cards, if those can play it I think a 9800 pro would do fairly well with doom, but I can't be sure....

I agree with saturnine2 when he says go with a ti4200, I am using a PNY ti4200 64mb with stock cooler and I overclocked it to 300/563 and it is running stable. I got it used off a FST forum for 55 shipped...

you guys relize you dont need a x800xt pe or a 6800ultra to play doom 3 right? The 9700p was the prefered card for this game last year, and it doesnt look that demanding, atleast compared to far cry where everything has very high res textures and lots of cool lighting/shading and HUGE levels with tons of trees.

Spend for the Ultra. I don't know what kind of comp you have right now, but with a 5400RPM hard drive and 256MB of RAM, that system is going to very slow in general usage.

well i have more ram i'm going to put in it. A 256 stick or 512, which ever is in stock when i go pick it up

Back