Cooler Master 550 up to the task?

haelduksf

Limp Gawd
Joined
Jan 17, 2005
Messages
195
Quick question for the PSU gurus out there.

I'm building a dual GPU system in the near future, based on either the DFI SLI-Expert or the CF-DR, and I'm in the market for a power supply. A friend is willing to sell me his CoolerMaster Real Power 550 very cheap. It has the 8-pin EPS connector that the new DFIs need, but it only has the one PCI-E power connector. It does, however, have an EPS 12V connector. Since the pinouts appear similar (EPS vs PCI-E), I was wondering if it would be possible to rewire the EPS connector, using the 12V wires already present, to be PCI-E compatible.

It looks like the only other option would be for me to either use a molex to PCI-E adapter off the third rail (6a max! :( ) or get a different PSU for 3x the price.
 
I would, except for 2 things:

A) I can get this PSu for about 1/2 the price of any of those on the list, and except for that one connector, the specs are equivalent.

B) That's the list for the SLI-DR, not the Expert or the CF-DR. Few (if any) of 'em have the 8-pin connector. Any plans for a revised list?
 
Back
Top