Cooler for i7 920

glarsen84

n00b
Hey,
I've been using the stock cooler for my i7 920 since 2008, but the temps are pretty high (55C idle, 96C load). I'm worried that it might damage the CPU.
Before I cleaned the cooler for dust, idle was 85C and load about 110C.

I would like a new cooler, and there's a chance that I might go overclocking.
An easy installation would be nice, but not a requirement.

I've also been thinking about upgrade from C0 to D0 stepping to improve stability.

Regards

Last edited:
Hello,
<$90

The Noctua NH-D14 seems interesting, but there's so many coolers out there. Can't decide.

Last edited:
What kind of case? the Noctua d14 is enormous... and if you care about aesthetics, the brown fans are kinda uggo, and dont exactly matchw ith anything.

I like the thermalright venomous X. I installed one for my friend and it was super easy, though finding a 120mm/140mm pwm fan is a P.I.T.A. so there is a trade off.
Oh and its also expensive as all hell, but so is the d14. Yeah, the venomous X black will be my next heatsink methinks, looks cool man.

The noctua will work better at lower fan speeds most likely. If you care about noise, one of their coolers might be the better pick.

Hey, thanks for the replies :)

My case is an Antec Twelve Hundred.
Thermalright venomous X looks nice too. It's a bit more expensive than the D14 (in Denmark), and I will also need to buy the fans. It's going to be too expensive :(

Will coolers for LGA1366 fit with Socket R/LGA2011? They are very expensive, so it would be cool if I could use it for my future Sandy Bridge rig. Mounting holes are the same, but the LGA2011 is bigger.

Last edited:
I would say get the good old TRUE Rev C. It is the best out there currently. I found out this the hard way. VX has no advantage over it.

Get an Antec300 case for $45. 2x Antec Tri-cool case fans for about $20 and a Hyper 212+ for around $25. That'll cool just about anything including the memory and harddrives. It's amazing how much air that setup moves.

Back