Control PCs on my homenetwork

zeroARMY

[H]ard|Gawd
I'd like to be able to control PCs on my small homework (Linksys BEFSR41, small as it gets). I've tried fiddling with the "Remote Desktop Connection" in XP, but when I open the network it says there are no terminal computers on the network. I also tried the Remote Desktop Assistance, but it seems like to much setup is involved on each end. I'd just like to be able to have access immediately, regardless if some is on.

My Cisco Instuctor let us play with the computer that has a program that lets you control the mouse and shut off at will the computers on the classroom lan. Anyone know the name of the program?

If you want to take control of a computer using a another computer, then try RealVNC. It's a free program as well.

Thanks. I played with RealVNC and found it usable but very basic. I also tried the GoverLAN 5.5 trial but couldn't get it to work. GoverLAN 5.5 has a lot of the features I was looking for.

like it has been said, realvnc, or tightvnc should fill your needs, also if you are close to the other machines, say <15 feet, you could get a KVM and have a actual control, but that would limit the access to the comptuers to just one station.

Originally posted by zeroARMY
I'd like to be able to control PCs on my small homework (Linksys BEFSR41, small as it gets). I've tried fiddling with the "Remote Desktop Connection" in XP, but when I open the network it says there are no terminal computers on the network.

My Cisco Instuctor let us play with the computer that has a program that lets you control the mouse and shut off at will the computers on the classroom lan. Anyone know the name of the program?

The TS option: If all you have is XP machines. They wont advertise themselves on the network as a TS box. You'll have to connect by IP Addy or host name.

Another option could be, if you have all NT-based boxen is Dameware's Mini Remote control.
www.dameware.com All you need is the administrator account password. It can push the client out itself.

Back