Construction IP Cam Setup.

tedo2007

n00b
Im looking for a decent res IP cam solution that We can put up at our construction site, and have it on the web to see whats going on.

Ideally, it would be 720p, an outdoor PTZ.

The site has a internet connection, not sure if we will have a router in place or not.

I just need it to be do the following:

Access it over the web, we want to also be able to control it over the web
Id like to be able to somehow add either a subdomain or something along those lines to point directly to the camera.

Any help would be greatly appricated - it doesnt need to record or anything like that.

Wouldn't it be easier to just read the daily/weekly reports and have onsite personnel take pics?

Anytime I have seen a "big brother" cam onsite, it usually ends up vandalized or stolen.

Tons of constr companies locally do this since they have a modular trailer with internet already. They just put a pole up with a PTZ camera dome. Usually the yard is chain linked in already.

OP: Sorry I only have a 'bullet' type IP cam so no PTZ.

Tons of constr companies locally do this since they have a modular trailer with internet already. They just put a pole up with a PTZ camera dome. Usually the yard is chain linked in already.

OP: Sorry I only have a 'bullet' type IP cam so no PTZ.

The general idea should be roughly the same.

This would work just fine as we need internet in that office anyways. (trailer)

I just cant find a decent ip cam to go with, nor an idea on how to easily get to the camera via the web. maybe a camera with built in web server (dynamic dns or something?)

Check here: http://nellyssecurity.com/hi-def-ip-cameras.html

EyeSURV is a rebadged Dahua camera. I personally have the ESIP-MP1.3-BT and really like it. Reason I went with that vendor is he offers awesome support and is really responsive via phone and email. They have built in web server to view. Easiest would be to set up DynDNS and FWD the port on the router. Done. I can show you mine if you really want.

Also check out cctvforum.com. That is where I got most of my info.

if you want Dahua can also go with Empire Security.

NotSoSimple - what are you recording to?

Just my home file server. Simple, FlexRAID with a couple TB HD's. Nothing special.

Marley: Dont you have to be an installer in order to order from Empire?

Edit: Nope, I am wrong.

Last edited:
Actually, here is what I see when I log in via web:

cam.jpg

If I had PTZ capability I would be able to control it, but I do not.

What about something like a DropCam? Not sure if they have a PTZ one though.

I'm getting the Dahua NVR and some cameras this week first for my wife's office then for the house.

Seem good quality. NVR makes easy on me and can do push alerts

Marley: Which cams? I am just about to buy another Dahua rebadge. Thanks for the idea on Empire Security, they were way cheaper than my guy.

I just ordered last night:
2x 1mp mini dome
3 x 1mp bullett
1 8 channel nvr

Going to wife's office. Shouldn't be bad. Most wiring is external which I'll be doing plastic conduit and plastic mouting brackets

Very nice. Ill be ordering 6 mini domes, and 6 bullets (well, non PTZ cams) and probably doing one of the linux nvr options.

That empire security looks to be good pricing.

Anyone sell good deals on multiple cameras?

We need 6 PTZ for inside, and 6 bullets for outside.

Costco sells a package deal by Qsee that has the Dahua/EyeSurv cameras. Otherwise just piece it together. That is a decent system... So I would either build a BEEFY desktop or just buy an NVR.

Nvr seems the way to go, i just need to build a system where the camera plug into the nvr, as to not saturate my network.

On a networking standpoint - how much bandwidth does each IP cam consume?

Im wondering if I should get a DVR solution instead. since we connect from the office we are wanting to put cameras up wirelessly to another building that way it would only use up 1 network cable, and hopefully less draw on the network.

Any input?

Back