Constant hard crashes in Skyrim

merc141

Limp Gawd
I am having constant crashes, sometimes it takes ten minutes sometimes it takes an hour but Skyrim always crashes. First the sound goes. it might make a humming sound or repeat some audio, then the screen goes dark and I have to shut down the computer and reboot. Rig is in the sig. Its stock Skyrim, and this crash occurs only in Skyrim, nowhere else. I tried updating the video drivers, validating the files in steam, all updates installed, the obvious stuff but I am stumped. I am worried that if I try to play it will damage my computer. Most of the cases of crashes I have found online is when it crashes to the desktop but that never happens to me, it is always a hard crash. Has anyone heard of this happening? I haven't found a case that sounds quite like mine. Again thanks for your time.

Sounds like your computer isn't 100% stable, I'd check temps first and if those check out run prime95 and furmark on it to stress it as hard as possible.

If those don't crash it then I'd run memtest on your computer to be sure that it isn't your ram.

If all those check out then we are back to square one. From here i'd uninstall all video drivers, directx, and microsoft redistributables, then I'd re-install them all.

If nothing after that then I'm not sure, maybe windows is screwed up or your hard drive is on the way out, either way an sfc /scannow and a checkdisk /r /f or something along those lines.

Back