Console Login on Cisco 2514

ApEtc

[H]ard|Gawd
I have an old Cisco 2514 that's been sitting around for over a year after I got it, having never actually been used by me. I wanted to give it someone I know, but I wanted to log in and verify how much memory it has installed and nuke the old config before he receives it.

However, I cannot seem to get in through the console port. Using the default settings of 9600 8,N,1 and flow control set to off, I get nothing as the router boots. Since I never actual got in the router, it could be anything from the port being fried to the default speed for the line having been changed.

I'm hoping it is just something like the latter. Is there a way to reset the config without actually logging in so that I can attempt to connect using the default settings? The config that is on there has no value and I just need to get in to prove that the thing even works. Thanks for any suggestions.

Even if the default speed for the port had been changed, IIRC that setting will load with the config. So, the ROMMON output should still show at the default settings. If you aren't getting any output from ROMMON, then the port is probably fried. (assuming you've ruled out the usual: cable, terminal client, etc.)

ok this might seem obvious but are you using null modem cable? it wont work with standard rs-232 cable

Ok, if the initial part of the boot is supposed to work with default config, then something else is up.

At this point, I'm actually suspecting the cable. I was able to use some network tools to catch the EIGRP and ARP packets it was sending and figure out its IP address (General Dynamics, apparently). I tried to telnet in, but chances are low I'd guess the password.

I'm going to hunt down a new rollover DB9->RJ45 cable and see if that does it. It looks like the computers and router are both fine, so the cable seems a logical next step.

Thanks for the pointers, guys!

Try the speed 115000

I had a router once that had the confreg set for a non-standard speed and nothing would show on a console line until the speed was set correctly.

Nice catch on the eigrp snoop!

Back