Connecting to Internet via ADSL router on a network

harg7769

n00b
I have a Windows 2k Server setup. This network consists of 10 computers that connect to the server and run various applications from that. I have recently upgraded my Internet access to ADSL. The server only has one network card and all computers on the network are connected by a switch and are assigned IP addresses by DHCP. My question is how do I get the router to be seen as the gateway for Internet and not lose the connection of the domain?

regards

Andrew H

You set all your machines to use your router's IP as their gateway, that's got nothing to do with the windows domain.

Is the Windows 2000 Server box providing the DHCP leases?

Your ASDL router is not really a router, but more of a modem. You should pick up some sort of router from newegg or your local store, then uplink from your switch to the new router. The DSL modem will plug into the WAN port of the router. Now turn off DHCP from the Win2K server and let the router handle it. Of course you would still need to keep the servers IP address static.

Yes, the server provides the DHCP leases, so I'll change that.

Cheers

Andrew H

Ok, I finally got the chance to turnoff DHCP at server tonight. The W98 workstations are all working without any problems and can access both the internet and LAN.

The only thing is, I can't get the XP Pro PCs to access the LAN now. They are all able to access the net, but their logon script for the LAN isn't running. Any ideas where I could fix that?

Thanks again

Andrew H

Originally posted by harg7769
Ok, I finally got the chance to turnoff DHCP at server tonight. The W98 workstations are all working without any problems and can access both the internet and LAN.

The only thing is, I can't get the XP Pro PCs to access the LAN now. They are all able to access the net, but their logon script for the LAN isn't running. Any ideas where I could fix that?

Thanks again

Andrew H

That's because while windows 98 PCs rely on netBIOS/Broadcasts to located other machines/resources, windows 2000/XP rely on DNS. Since your ADSL router DHCP doesn't provide the correct DNS server address for your windows server (probably provides the DNS for your ISP), they can't find it. Seeing that you mention logon scripts, I assume you use AD, in which case a DNS server supporting the domain is a requirement.

You would be much better off disabling the DHCP on the ADSL router, then enabling the DHCP on your windows server (again :) ), then configuring the "Default Gateway" in your DHCP scope options with the ADSL router's IP address. Configuring your default gateway to ADSL router's IP address will not conflict with your network enviroment since all local subnet traffic is not routed.

Thanks for the speedy reply.

The problem with that is that the ISP rpovided the router pre-configured and as such I can't turn off DHCP on it.

It seemed like a good idea at the time to get a router from the ISP as we had already told them exaclty what we planned to do and they recommended this router.

Is there an alternative way of dealing with this or will I have to turn DHCP back on at the server?

Andrew

Well, seeing how you already have a windows server you could set it up with 2 NICs. Connect the router to the first NIC, connect a switch to the second, connect your PCs to the switch rather then the ADSL router.

Install RRAS service and configure routing. (you will need to configure different subnets for the PCs and the router)

Then activate DHCP on NIC2, with your Windows Server as a Default Gateway.

---

or, you can try this trick (you will need a hub/switch):

Activate DHCP on your Windows Server (configured with IP of your ADSL router as a standart gateway). Plug the server and all the PCs into the switch. Unplug the ADSL router. Release and renew IPs on all the PCs (since ADSL router is unavaileble they will get DHCP lease from your server). Plug the ADSL router back in. When clients subsequently renew the DHCP lease, they will always try to contact the server they got the original lease from first...

Back