Connecting the 360 wirelessly

pcperson

n00b
I just got a 360 and want to get it set up with Live. I've got a wireless network set up at my house with WEP encryption and a MAC address permissions list. Hardwiring the 360 sadly isn't an option right now and I was wondering what my options for connecting it wirelessly are. I don't really want to spend the 100 dollars on the microsoft branded wireless connector if I don't have to. Can I use a USB network adapter? or some other wireless bridge that would save me some money until I can hardwire it? I'm running on 802.11 G right now, so N isn't needed. Anyone have any suggestions?

USB adapters won't work, but a wireless bridge should work just fine. Another option is to get another wireless router/access point and use WDS. It's a bit more complex to set up, and not all routers support WDS, but it does work very well. I like using WDS, since it means I now have a bunch of ethernet ports, so I never have to mess with wireless settings on individual devices. Just plug them into the 2nd router and go.

Back