Connecting game consoles to 2405

Ghostface Killah

Limp Gawd
I learned that the Dell 2405 has component inputs. Does that mean when the new Xbox 360 comes out I can plug the console in via component input to the monitor and I can play any games in HDTV resolutions (1080i, 720p, 480p) ?
That's what I heard, and it would be great if I could have one monitor do two things; gaming and computer'ing.

Thank you

There's at least 3 topics already on this subject. But here are some posts from users on this, from what I've seen the issue varies some on this subject:

"I guess I should reply since I was one of the other users who reported rolling lines (after 20 min - 1 hr of use) on 480i/p component input. I RMA'd that monitor because it also made a loud whining noise after 20 minutes - 1 hour of use.

The new monitor does not make the dreaded noise, and it also has no problems on 480i/p component input. No rolling lines, even after extended usage. On 480i (i only - not p) against a white screen, I can sort of see some kind of faint flickering, but only when I'm right up next to it. I think what I'm actually seeing there is the interlacing.

So yeah, those rolling lines shouldn't be there.

Edit: Oh, by the way, the first monitor was a Jun 01 A01, and the new one is a July 01 A01. I don't know if that matters."

"The Dell 2405FPW monitor can't display 480p/480i correctly over the inputs. The aspect ratio is stretched under any mode. Meaning everyones got a big fat flat head, or characters in video games are fat. I don't know why nobody seems to either notice this or mention it."

"Yeah it displays 480i/480p content slighty streched horizontally through its inputs for whatever reason , that can be in either 4:3 or 16:9 anamorphic mode (not sure what you would call 480p anamorphic over HD or if it even exists) both are deformed. 720p works correctly however from what I've seen, playing a couple of xbox games that support it. They filled the screen correctly leaving small black bars on top and bottom. 1920x1080 aka 1080p doesn't work correctly over DVI either, for those of you that have the monitor try creating 1920x1080 as a custom resolution and see what happens, the monitor thinks it's running at 1920x1200 so it is stretched vertically at this resolution."

Back