Connecting a wireless segment

board2death986

[H]ard|Gawd
Alright so I have a small network in my room, about 30ft away from my wireless router in the living room, and all of my devices are connected to a gigabit switch. At the moment I have two of those devices each with their own wireless adapter, but I want to connect all the devices with the internet.

Would connecting the swich to a wireless AP do the job? I cannot run a physical line to the router, so i'm looking for the easiest way to go with this.

untitled-1.jpg

http://www.newegg.com/product/product.aspx?item=N82E16833156232

Should work. If you have dhcp on your wired lan, disable it on the wireless router, and plug the router's lan into your switch.

Use ICS on one of the wireless computers connected to the switch. Make sure it is the only thing doing DHCP on the switch.

run a wire.......

uh read the post buddy, I said I CANT run a physical line. But ok if you need reasons fine;

It's not my house, and I don't have permission to drill holes and run a physical line to my room. I would just run one along the floor, but that's more of a weekend solution, and since I have 2 dogs that wouldn't end very well.

I'm asking to find out the easiest option BESIDES running a line across the house.

so then BUDDY!!!!!!!!

grab a 2nd router capable of dd-wrt or tomato, flash it, flash both routers would be better, and set it up as wireless bridge.

You will need to do more than simply plug in a wireless router to the switch. Your best bet will be to either buy a couple APs that support WDS or bridging and add them to your network. The buffalo WHR-G54S and WHR-G54S-HP support WDS and client bridging out of the box without the need for DD-WRT. Good luck finding them right now though......

Back