Confused about setting up WEP, SSID, MAC address's and such...

LunchboX3904

[H]ard|Gawd
i recently got a d-link router w/WLAN from a friend and my sister also got a D-link adapter for her laptop. Everything is working just fine, but I'm completely lost when it comes to securing it. I need a step by step instruction on what i need to do on each end. I know how to get into the router and change around settings, but i just don't know what to do on hee computer.

thanks.

WEP is old, outdated, easily broken, and a pain to setup.
WPA is newer, muct more secure, and easily setup.
SSID is simply the "name" your wireless network advertises itself as, not unlike say a workgroup name for a peer to peer LAN.
MAC filtering can add security to your network.

Make sure you change the default password for your router, and if this is a home LAN, WPA is good enough IMO. Depends on where you live, who you have for neighbors, etc.

I have no worries of anyone attempting to break in, but I just wanna make sure there's no teenagers that see an open internet connection and start leeching off the bandwidth.

Ok, so i know everything I need to do on the router side, but i just need to know what i need to do on the Laptop side.

LunchboX3904 said:
Ok, so i know everything I need to do on the router side, but i just need to know what i need to do on the Laptop side.

Off the top of my head, set the SSID, channel, encryption type, and encryption key (assuming you are using it). That should do it.
Edit: Oh and use infrastructure mode.

Unless you've made some changes to your card Infrastructure should be the current mode. Unless you've disabled SSID broadcasting on the AP (buys you very little security) then there is no SSID to set either. hard to imagine you can't figure out how to use XP's wireless utility. Should walk you through all of it. If your using the card's utility then just read the manual. Same with the AP. Why don't you give it a shot and post back with the problems your having.

Back