Computer wouldnt boot

chuckm1020

[H]ard|Gawd
Last night I was playing cs:source and turned if off so i could run 3dmark05. but i wanted to restart just so everything could be fresh before i ran it. so i restarted and the progress bars where going across showing how much it loaded windows. and right before it ask u to enter your password. the screen always goes black for like a second. but this time it just stayed black. i let it sit there for about 2 minutes and nothing happend. so i had to hold down the power button and turn it off the bad way. i tried this 2 more times just to see if it would work. it did the same exact thing. so i reboot into safe mode without a proble. i did an adaware scan and only found 1 wich isnt bad at all. then i did a full virus scan and found none. then i did a defragmintation of the C drive wich has my windows on it. and when that was complete i restart. and the computer boot up fine into regular windows. any clue on what could cause this?

somethings going on here. just after i left this post. i updated my AVG virus definitions and then i restarted for the hell of it and it did the same thing. then all i did was turn it off then go into safe mode. and made no changes at all and restarted into normal windows mode and now it works again.

well i did system restore in safe mode. i restored it to settings from monday. only 2 things changed. i had to update my avg definiotions again and my printer drivers are uninstalled. my comp is working fine now. i think it is the printer drivers. because i deleted the hp executable in the run section within the registry. but it was working for a couple hours after i did that. i cant think of anything else. anyways, is it safe to use system restore. is it a good way to fix problems? becuase it fixed mine, but ive never been the biggest fan of system restore. it just seems like im cheating my way out of the problem. i just hate having a problem and fixing it not knowing what even caused it.

sounds like a real problem, bump for you. would like to see this get an answer that way if it happens to me i know whats wrong

It sounds like what might have happened is that, assuming that you're running XP, your windows hive files got corrupted. If you want to try and duplicate the problem, redownload the hp printer drivers, and see if you have the same problem. DON'T use the ones that you already dloaded, because its possibly that they were corrupted when you downloaded. Did you have another brand of printer drivers on your computer before you installed the HP drivers? If you did, then it would be a good idea to go in using drive cleaner and get rid of the old drivers.

just for an update.i installed the printer drivers again. and all has been going well. i didnt delete the processes for the printer this time though. before i isntalled the printer i was at 36 processes with nothing open, after i installed them im now at 38. but at least my computer works.

i thought all was well. it just started doing it again. but i kinda fixed the problem. i went into safe mode and deleted every hp program and driver. then restarted and downloaded hp cleaner on there website. and ran that. and restarted, and i restarted a few times. and now it seems to be working fine. these hp drivers are so damn bloaded i hate them. i need my printer too for school stuff.

two words, kid: get. canon.
had 'em for fifteen years... *fifteen* *years*... never once has one failed me.

had a total of 4 hp printers... only one hasn't f***ed up somehow, and it's slower than my old 386. *snort* hp makes fine computers... it's their printers that pidgeon-crap all over their reputation.

Sounds like your video card is overhearting or crapping out. Try downclocking the core/mem speeds maybe?

Back