Computer wont boot. Colored line glitches on boot logo. Logo stays forever. If it boots then Blue Screen after booting. Post boot freeze up.

Hi Cyclone, i havent reseated the CPU as i dont have thermal paste ready at hand. I will get some tmrw and try that out. Also if i buy a bigger quantity of thermal paste can i store it for few months or even years or its better to buy the small syringe things ?
You don't need new paste to reseat and test a CPU. We won't be stress testing the CPU in this case and have no reason to do so but would have limited effect anyways. We're tying to get you to a solid boot with a functioning desktop correct?

CoolerMaster Master Gel Regular ? Can i get that ?
I've never used that. What are the specs and how do reviews for it look?

And as another said, you don't necessarily have to replace the compound if you are just reseating for testing.

Hi Guys....no combination was working as i had no other ways to test and the pc was behaving too erratically to judge anything. So i bought a new RYZEN 5700G with the ASUS B550M-A WIFI 2 motherboard and mounted it in. The problem mobo with its processor i3 6100 was out, but i put the same 4 questionable RAMS which were suspect to be fried or corrupted into this new mobo and it accepted smooth on first boot, all 4 chips, 64gb, loaded the OS, worked with my usual programs editing etc and everything was smooth, except the 5700G was 3 times faster at everything than the old processor. So it turns out all 4 ram chips were ok. Ran Memtest for 1 Hr (12 instances of the program) and no errors whatsoever with the new platform.

This leaves me with only an orphaned i3 6100 + the suspect motherboard and id like to use these as my gen home computer since my current one is a 2100 i3. So in these 2 orphaned elements i think most likely the mobo is corrupted ? Bec processors are very unlikely to fail right ? I dont mind replacing a new mobo for this 6100 to get some good use out of it as its hardly been used even. Plz advise.

I've never used that. What are the specs and how do reviews for it look?

And as another said, you don't necessarily have to replace the compound if you are just reseating for testing.
Varied mixed opinions. Reviews say its good. But thats all generalistic. Then theres another set of believers who say no to silicone based compounds as they say it breaks up and oils up of something to that effect. Do you use non silicone based thermal grease ?

Hi Guys....no combination was working as i had no other ways to test and the pc was behaving too erratically to judge anything. So i bought a new RYZEN 5700G with the ASUS B550M-A WIFI 2 motherboard and mounted it in. The problem mobo with its processor i3 6100 was out, but i put the same 4 questionable RAMS which were suspect to be fried or corrupted into this new mobo and it accepted smooth on first boot, all 4 chips, 64gb, loaded the OS, worked with my usual programs editing etc and everything was smooth, except the 5700G was 3 times faster at everything than the old processor. So it turns out all 4 ram chips were ok. Ran Memtest for 1 Hr (12 instances of the program) and no errors whatsoever with the new platform.

This leaves me with only an orphaned i3 6100 + the suspect motherboard and id like to use these as my gen home computer since my current one is a 2100 i3. So in these 2 orphaned elements i think most likely the mobo is corrupted ? Bec processors are very unlikely to fail right ? I dont mind replacing a new mobo for this 6100 to get some good use out of it as its hardly been used even. Plz advise.
Definitely more likely the mobo than the CPU. Though I have seen a few CPUs go bad.

The new mobo (ASUS PRIME B550M-A Wifi 2 ) for the Ryzen 7 5700G has 2x M.2 slots. If i add in a 2nd M.2 NVMe will it slow down the first NVMe (by sharing) the bandwidth of the first one ?

1712806147855.png

one is already slower and on the chipset.

R7 5700G is PCIe 4.0. So the first slot which is PCIe 4.0 will support the best speed of the 2 right ? And your saying the 2nd slot (PCIe 3.0) if populated with a 2nd new NVMe will slow down the 1st slot ?

PS: I just thought the slot is idle and if i put in a 2nd NVMe stick then Premiere pro can use it as a scratch disk where a dedicated high performance drive is required to just write temporary media cache files during editing.

No, the second slot is half the bandwidth of the first, because it's gen3 instead of gen4. The manual doesn't say it will derate the first slot, so I doubt it will. Wouldn't make sense for it to anyway, since it's on the chipset.

R7 5700G is PCIe 4.0.
Double check that. Pretty sure it's PCIe 3.0.

The first slot is a cpu direct slot, and the second is through the chipset. The chipset is on an x4 link to the cpu, so everything behind it is bottlenecked on that, but that's probably not a huge bottleneck unless you're using the scratch disk at the same time as you're heavily using a 40g network card (or something else big) also attached to the chipset.

There will be little to no noticeable difference in perceptible speed between gen 3 and 4 express slots and the hardware is all backwards compatible.

Double check that. Pretty sure it's PCIe 3.0.

The first slot is a cpu direct slot, and the second is through the chipset. The chipset is on an x4 link to the cpu, so everything behind it is bottlenecked on that, but that's probably not a huge bottleneck unless you're using the scratch disk at the same time as you're heavily using a 40g network card (or something else big) also attached to the chipset.
You're right ! its PCIe Gen 3 x4 lanes. The mobo has PCIe Gen4 on one slot and PCIe Gen3 on the other slot. And this system isnt exposed to any network. Its a no internet offline computer.

You're right ! its PCIe Gen 3 x4 lanes. The mobo has PCIe Gen4 on one slot and PCIe Gen3 on the other slot. And this system isnt exposed to any network. Its a no internet offline computer.
On some MB's having a second M.2 drive will lower a PCI-e slot to a lower spec such as going from X16 to X8 or even disable a SATA port.

On some MB's having a second M.2 drive will lower a PCI-e slot to a lower spec such as going from X16 to X8 or even disable a SATA port.
Yes you are very correct. Some boards do this. Right now ive populated all 4 SATA3 ports. Of the 2 available m.2 slots....ive used one. All 5 devices work simultaneously. Now when i put in an nvme into the 2nd slot ill know if any repercussions. Went thru the manual in detail on the STA ports and NVMe ports and theres no official mention of a SATA being deactivated to compensate dual NVMe, my earlier GIGABYTE manual mentioned it specifically saying if NVMe was used then one SATA would be deactivated.

Like what kind of problems ? I mean it also gave you boot problems or you had problems after resuming, such as windows blacked out etc.
Sorry for the delay. It gave me boot problems. I would have to shut down and restart the computer. I eventually disabled hibernation. I also should've stated that this was with Win7. I don't use it in Window 10 because of previous issues. I just put it to sleep and never had an issue with it restarting, except sometimes the sound doesn't work, so I just put it back to sleep and awake it and all is then fine.

Back