Computer Warming a Privacy Risk

Rich Tate

Supreme [H]ardness
Believe it or not, a person has devised a method to take a computers temperature over the internet.

The attack uses a phenomenon called "clock skew" -- the tendency for the precise clocks in modern computers to drift off of the correct time at slightly different rates, which can be affected by heat.

I find this really dubious for some reason. I can see Symantec hard at work at another "security" app...

"Clock-Skew Defense Version 2.0! It randomly warms and cools your time crystal!"

All we need is Doc Brown and Scotty endorsing it....

An interesting read.

My thoughts on this..
While this could easy effect home users that are not using a real firewall, the corporate world is another story.

Most corporate networks incorporate perimeter firewalls will rewrite the packets as well as check for RFC compliance on all traffic transversing the firewall. Future firewalls that run on desktop PC's will more then likely incorporate a level of protection for these types of attacks.

2000/XP/Vista do not have the timestamp option set in the initial handshake (SYN).
An invalid flag returned on the SYN/ACK with the TCP would be detected and discarded for non-compliance with an invalid flag combination, thwarting man-in-the-middle attacks attempting to determine the offsets of devices behind the perimeter firewall.

In addition, with hosts set to sync to an internal NTP server, or syncing with the perimeter device that does not allow NTP pass through, it would be easy to adjust and randomize internal traffic not leaving the network or for traffic that is not being rewritten as it leaves the internal network through the perimeter device.

my 2 cents
- Spuds

There is an amazingly simple solution for this:

Everyone needs to Fold for the [H]!!!

By keeping the CPU @ 100% load, it would be difficult to significantly alter the temp. Sure, you could probably put a slightly heavier load on it, but the change would be insignificant compared to the diff between idle and load.

Every day I find a new reason to Fold for the [H]

Back